Veterans Service Representative

Veterans Benefits Administration - Milwaukee, WI (30+ days ago)3.9

This position is located in the Pension Management Center (PMC), at the Milwaukee Regional Office, in Milwaukee, WI.

As a Veterans Service Representative (VSR) you will work on veterans benefits claims and provide comprehensive services to America's Veterans and their families.

The Veterans Service Representative (VSR) explains benefit programs and entitlement criteria, conducts interviews, identifies issues, gathers relevant evidence, adjudicates claims, and inputs data necessary to generate the award and notification letter to the veteran describing the decision and the reason for it. As a VSR you will:

Serve as a primary contact for the veteran and his/her representative or advocate and the decision-maker for compensation or pension claims.
Explain the full range ofveteran benefits and all related programs.
Make determinations as to eligibility for the type of benefit sought and fully analyzes, develops, and requests required evidence for certain claims requiring a rating decision.
Decide the necessity for and type of examinations, reexamination or opinions to determine the existence of or to evaluate disabilities resulting from diseases or injuries.
Develop comprehensive requests for these examinations/opinions to ensure appropriate evidence is received from which to adjudicate the claim.
Prepare correspondence to members of Congress and special interest groups on case assignments and other "controlled" correspondence.
Rotate through the Cross-Functional, Intake Processing Center, Direct Contact, Appeals, and Quality Review teams to gain experience in all aspects of the Transformation Initiative.
Utilize various electronic data processing (EDP) systems for inputting data related to claims adjudication, processing, monitoring, and correspondence preparation.
Act as an advocate for veterans and their beneficiaries in their dealings with other VA elements and organizations that affect their claims.
Work Schedule:Regular office hours Monday-Friday: 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM;Alternate work schedules may be available.

Position Description Title:Veterans Service RepresentativeGS-0996-07/07full performance level 10

Promotion Potential: The incumbent may be promoted to the full performance level (GS-10) without further competition after meeting time-in-grade and specialized experience requirements. Upon attaining the GS-10 grade level, the incumbent will be required to take the VSR Skills Certification. Selection at a lower grade level does not guarantee promotion to the full performance level.

To qualify for this position, applicants must meet allrequirements by the closing date of this announcement.

Note:Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.

Specialized Experience:
To qualify, applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade (GS-05) in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization interpreting regulations and applying laws required to explain, evaluate and recommend determinations of eligibility to claimant requests for services and benefits. Specialized experience is defined as work that involves:

(1) Requesting relevant medical or administrative evidence to make eligibility determinations;

(2) Analyzing medical evidence, benefit and/or legal evidence to identify and recognize required actions for claim development, and

(3) Experience explaining program benefit entitlements and requirements.

Or applicants may substitute education for the experience required at the GS-07 level: Successful completion of one (1) full year of graduate level education (18 credit hours) in an accredited college or university which demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work or superior academic achievement during completion of a Bachelor's degree. Superior academic achievement can be based on one of the following:

a. Ranked in the upper 1/3 of your college class or major subdivision at the time you apply; OR
b. Earned election to a national scholastic honor society that meets the requirements of the Association of College Honor Societies other than freshman honor societies; OR
c. Earned a grade point average (GPA) of 2.95 or higher on a 4.0 scale based on all completed undergraduate courses, or all undergraduate classes completed during the final two years; OR
d. Earned a GPA of 3.45 or higher on a 4.0 scale based on all completed undergraduate courses in your major, or all undergraduate courses in your major completed during the final two years.

Please note that if more than 10% of your undergraduate course work (credit hours) was taken on a pass/fail or similar basis, you can qualify only on the basis of your class standing or membership in an honor society. For more information on calculating Superior Academic Achievement and combining education and experience to qualify for positions please visit:

Or applicants cancombine graduate education and specialized experience to qualify at the GS-07 level. If you have some, but not all, of the graduate education AND specialized experience described above, you may still qualify by combining the amount of creditable education and experience that you do have. To do so, first calculate the percentage of qualifying education you have as a percentage of the education required. Next, calculate the percentage of specialized experience you have as a percentage of the experience required. Then, add the two percentages. The total percentage must equal at least 100% for you to qualify for the positionat the GS-7 grade level. For example, an applicant who has 9 semester hours of graduate education (i.e., 50% of graduate education required) and 6 months of acceptable specialized experience (i.e., 50% of the experience required) would satisfy the qualification requirements for the position

A transcript with a completion/conferred date must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education. Transcripts without this information are not complete.

Physical Requirements: The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee may sit comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items such as papers, books, small parts; driving an automobile, etc. No special physical demands are required to perform the work. The Department of Veterans Affairs provides reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities.

All applicants are required to submit a resume.
In addition to a resume, the following documents may be submitted as applicable, however not all applicants will need to submit the following:

DD Form 214

SF-15 and all supporting documents


Other veteran documents



Your résumé may be submitted in any format, however we strongly recommend using USA Jobs résumé builder as it contains all of the information requiredon federal résumés.
For qualifications determinations your résumé must contain hours worked per week, the dates of employment, and the level of your experience. If your résumé does not contain this information you will not receive consideration for this position.
If you submit more than one copy of your résumé, only the most recent version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your résumé is "most recent." It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
If your résumé includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.

Applicants claiming veterans preference must also submit:
A legible copy of your DD Form 214, "Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty," showing all dates of service, as well as character of service (Honorable, General, etc.). The member 4 copy of your DD Form 214 is preferable. Copies of DD-214's can be requested: here
Current active duty members must submit a signed statement of service from their commander dated within the last 120 daysthat containstheir expected discharge date, their release from active duty under honorable conditions, any medals awarded, and the timeframe of their service so eligibility can be determined.
Veterans claiming 10 point preference must also submit anSF-15 and all documents indicated on the form as proof of type of preference. This includes a VA letter supporting your disability claim with the overall percentage listed.
If you are unsure as to whether you qualify for veterans' preference, please consult the U.S. Department of Labor's Veterans' Preference Advisor: here

If you are basing all or some of your qualifications on education or if a degree is required for the position, a transcript must be included as part of your application package.
Unofficial transcript(s) may be submitted, however it must contain the course names, levels, credits earned, and grades received.
Your transcript must contain the degree conferred date if you are substituting a degree for experience
If you are claiming superior academic achievement (SAA) ensure you submit completed transcript(s) to demonstrate it. The requirements for superior academic achievement can be viewed: here
A photocopy of your degree is not acceptablein place ofa transcript.
An official transcript will be required at a later date if you are selected for the position.

Applicants claiming CTAP/ICTAP Eligibility must also submit:
Certification of expected separation, reduction-in-force separation notice, or notice of proposed removal; and your most recent performance evaluation; and an SF-50 demonstrating your separationor the position you will be separated from. Or
Worker's compensation separation: agency certification of inability to place employee and notification of separation or a separation SF-50. Or
Disability annuity termination: Notification from OPM of disability annuity termination and separation SF-50 of the last position held. Or
Military reserve or National Guard technician special disability retirement annuity under 5 U.S.C. 8337(h) or 8456: Certification of special disability retirement annuity from a military department or National Guard bureau and separation SF-50 of the last position held.
Failure to submit any of the above mentioned required documents may result in loss of consideration due to an incomplete application package. It is your responsibility to ensure all required documents have been submitted. You will not be contacted for additional information.

In addition to the information listed above, please use this checklistto ensure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support veterans preference claims, or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced federal employees).