We are seeking an entrepreneurial creative with an interest in new media and storytelling, someone who collaborates well across departments and is able to lead a team while simultaneously working in service to our brands.
The ideal candidate is a passionate leader who lives at the forefront of design and digital and will continue to elevate the quality of all FLM brands for the industry and the consumer, while being able to roll-up their sleeves with the team in a start-up environment. This role will develop the Creative team to be collaborative partners across all FLM brands.
The VP, Design & Creative at First Look Media will help provide design leadership, strategic thinking, and inspiration across all company brands, including: Topic.com, Topic Studios, The Nib, Field of Vision, The Press Freedom Defense Fund and The Intercept.
This role will manage the day-to-day of growing team of full-time employees and freelancers who provide creative services for marketing, product, video, and the brand at large.The VP, Design & Creative will report directly to the SVP, Marketing.
Background & Qualifications:
- Own the creative process from brief to production. Help clarify creative goals, lead promotional photo and video shoots, manage production assets and workflow. Prioritize all projects to ensure on-time delivery.
- Work with SVP of Marketing to set the creative strategy and maintain the elevated aesthetic
- Drive brand style and messaging both internally and externally
- Foster positive relationships between the creative team and other departments with a high degree of collaboration, including helping the business team develop appropriate collateral and sales marketing materials.
- Build an environment in which people are inspired to achieve creative excellence and take risks
- Develop and manage relationships with outside vendors to maintain elevated creative standards
- Manage, develop and mentor in-house and freelance creatives
- Lead creative ideation and brainstorming sessions.
- Build strong, supportive, and constructive relationships throughout the creative team and cross-functionally across the organization.
- 10 or more years of creative design experience, demonstrating strong creative and art direction skills across disciplines. Experience, preferably in entertainment, media or publishing.
- 5 or more years of experience managing creative teams, resources, and budgets
- Proven track record of partnering with editorial, product, creative, sales, and technical teams.
- Some experience working with customer-centered business goals (e.g. subscription, e-commerce or membership).
- Extensive experience with developing creative briefs and evaluating concepts / final executions
- Strategic thinker with excellent analytical, written, and verbal skills with an eye for creating engaging presentations and simple reports
- Exceptional leadership skills to produce breakthrough work in a collaborative environment
- Outstanding project management skills, with the ability to prioritize multiple deadlines, reconcile competing interests, and streamline workflow
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Topic, The Nib and Field of Vision, and plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats and platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators and audiences develop, distribute, discover and connect with meaningful stories.
Topic is the ambitious new storytelling brand and entertainment studio from First Look Media, dedicated to supporting creators at the forefront of culture. From Academy Award®-winning films (Spotlight) to television, audio and digital, we explore a wide range of subject matter, both fiction and nonfiction with an emphasis on stories of consequence that explore the issues of our time. Our approach – challenging, compelling and unconventional – reflects our commitment to discovering and amplifying independent new voices, and supporting established ones.
About The Intercept
The Intercept, launched in 2014 to provide an outlet for fearless, adversarial journalism, produces award-winning investigative reporting, analysis, and multimedia content focused on national security, politics, civil liberties, the environment, technology, criminal justice, media, and more. Regular contributors include co-founding editors Glenn Greenwald and Jeremy Scahill.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.