Bachelor's degree is required.
1-2 years experience is required.
Patient Advocate duties:
(1) Investigate, resolve, document and report organization-specific patient and visitor complaints and concerns to the Grievance Team, (2) Implement and participate in customer service and patient relations initiatives related to Good Samaritan Hospital, (3) Assure timely follow-up on all patient complaints, (4) Provide monthly analysis of complaints and complements to hospital departments.
Clinical Quality Specialist duties:
(1) support the implementation and monitoring of clinical quality projects and activities designed to ensure the safe administration of care into clinical processes, while developing a culture that perceives safety to be of paramount importance.
CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS:
- Interface with patients and families to ensure that care is consistent with their expectations
- Facilitate resolution of complaints/grievances/requests from Patients & Visitors and ensures regulatory compliance with DPH, DMH, TJC
- Respond to suggestions and complements submitted by patients and provide feedback to the respective department or staff member
- Document patient/visitor concerns to include patient demographic data, synopsis of incident, actions taken to resolve, and outcome;
- Input complaints into database, compose letters or e-mails to patients, visitors, or physicians, leadership
- Analyze complaint/grievance data and collaborate with Director of Quality and Safety to report results on a monthly basis
- Co-leads the Rights and Responsibility (RI) Chapter of The Joint Commission.
- Prepares timely reports, data, and projects to external and internal regulatory (DPH, DMH, TJC) entities, individuals, departments and assists with interpretation of results.
- Participates in the development, implementation, and on-going education of Clinical Quality initiatives and administrative functions as directed by the Director of Quality and Patient Safety.
- Facilitates and participates in committees and meetings that are focused on Quality, Safety, Performance Improvement, and Patient Relations.
- Serves as a professional role model and mentor to staff by responding positively to change while supporting colleagues through the change process
- Actively participates in the following committees: The Joint Commission Preparedness Committee, Patient Safety Triage Team, Patient Care Assessment Committee (as guest), Patient Family Advisory Council, and other committees as appropriate
- Active participant in the Patient Experience Committee
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Ensures the dignity of patient/customer is maintained at all times
- Cooperative in interactions, treating customers with courtesy, respect and compassion; ability to handle difficult and angry people constructively; and interact with physicians and senior leadership.
- Excellent judgment, objectivity, ability to work with others, with strong communication skills, and the ability to develop innovative and feasible solutions to complex issues in which the boundaries are broad and difficult to determine in advance.
- Excellence in organizing the details of multiple and related subjects, issues, and situations to present and recommend solutions in a logical, cohesive format.
- Analytical, problem solving, and negotiation skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to develop and articulate key presentations to a broad range of individuals
- Superior teamwork skills, both as a leader and a team member
- Effective change management skills
- Strong sense of ownership and high level of accountability.
- Ability to work independently and to manage multiple tasks in a fast paced environment.
- Is cooperative in interactions, treating internal and external customers with courtesy, respect and compassion.
- Responds to requests in a timely manner..
- Maintains a professional appearance and demeanor.
- Strives to prevent/resolve customer concerns to the customer's satisfaction.
- Patient when responding to questions and answers questions appropriately
- Responds to requests in a timely manner, handles interruptions in a skillful way
- Maintains a professional appearance and demeanor
- Strives to prevent/resolve customer concerns to the customer's satisfaction
- Responds and provides service recovery, must be able to address difficult, awkward situations with tact and diplomacy
- Highly motivational communication skills accompanied by the ability to analyze and present data to influence behavior, stimulate innovation, promote best practices, and drive organizational change.
- Is responsible for ongoing development of his/her work skills through the use of available resources (i.e.: in-services, formal educational programs, other work groups and on-the-job training)
- Attends and participates in Human Rights Officer (HRO) Training
- Attends and participates in staff meetings, orientations, and in-services and/or reviews documentation as required, actively participates in mentoring
- Demonstrates strong computer skills with knowledge of control charts and Microsoft applications including Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point.
- Exception oral and written communication skills; presentation skills; attention to detail.
- Performs analytical and decision making functions with minimal supervision
- Recognizes and seeks assistance/consultation when appropriate
- Demonstrates an understanding of relative Hospital and all-departmental policies and procedures including safety issues
- Possesses awareness of programs/services provided by Hospital and where they are located
- Must be an informed regulatory healthcare representative for the patient and organization; must be able to communicate patient and visitor rights and responsibilities to patients, family members, and staff.
1. Baccalaureate degree in a nursing, health care, social services, sociology, psychology, customer service, hospitality, or business-related field.
1. Human Rights Officer (HRO) Training provided by the Massachusetts Department of Mental Health within 6 months of hire.
1. Is part of a team effort to insure quality services
2. Offers creative solutions or alternatives to issues or concerns
3. Produces quality results
4. Continually strives to improve the quality of work
3. Accepts responsibility for all work performed and takes appropriate corrective action as needed
4. Develops and implements with staff strategies to improve employee engagement