Principal TPM, Performance Engineering
The mission of the Performance Engineering team is to enable Amazon’s distributed development teams to identify, prioritize and drive improvements to our products and services that positively impact customer experience. The team is chartered with taking Amazon's massive infrastructure and making it run as lean and efficiently as possible, while enabling the company to stay on the bleeding edge of growth and innovation. Our goal is to maintain the ability of each business unit to innovate, while providing detailed insight into runtime performance, stability and optimal resource utilization, as well as a deeper understanding of how each service interacts with neighboring systems.
In this role, you will develop an ROI model to identify and prioritize the largest opportunities; program manage the multi-team development and operational rollout of projects in collaboration with partner teams across the company; provide post-launch impact assessment; drive a continuous improvement cycle around the identification and prioritization of future projects; and advocate best practices across the company enabling new applications and services to be built in an increasingly more cost effective manner. You will also define, build and roll out new tools and applications that support this initiative; propose and evaluate new standards and techniques to improve existing systems; and provide access to training and best practices to development teams so that they can full advantage of all program deliverables. Your work will influence the operation of hundreds of teams and thousands of services.
Our ideal candidate will have a strong TPM background, with demonstrated experience leading large cross-organizational software development projects, and will have a well-rounded technical background in current web and micro-service technologies. You must be able to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment, and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. This means you are not only able to develop and drive high-level strategic initiatives, but can also roll up your sleeves, dig in and help drive change. As a TPM, you will anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make tradeoffs, and balance business needs versus technical constraints. An ability to take large, complex projects and break them down into manageable pieces, help engineering leaders develop functional specifications, then deliver programs in a successful and timely manner is expected. Maturity, high judgment, negotiation skills, ability to influence, analytical talent and leadership are key factors to success in this role.
- 10+ years of Technical Program Management experience in a related industry
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent
- Ability to think creatively, analyze quantitatively, problem-solve and prioritize
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and ability to influence others
- Experience delivering initiatives from conception through on-time delivery
- Experience with current web technologies, AWS preferred
- 15+ years of Technical Program Management experience in a related industry
- Master’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science and/or Business
- Background in infrastructure and systems management products or performance engineering
- Experience w/forecasting for global businesses, business cases, recommendations to executive mgmt., ROI modeling
- Accomplished range of skills from high-level strategic thinking to detailed analysis
- Proven ability to lead cross-functional teams through influence versus direct management; excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience delivering large cross-functional projects by partnering across multiple teams globally
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation