Experienced laboratory chemist that samples, analyses, and releases ingredients and finished products to ensure that all products meet the quality standards of The Coca-Cola Company. Must be knowledgeable of analytical instrumentation and wet chemistry techniques and analysis. Testing experience includes microbiological techniques, titration, HPLC, GC and spectrophotometric methods. Familiarity with GMP/GLP, ISO standards and regulatory requirements needed.
Function Specific Activities:
Performs daily laboratory analyses of ingredients and beverage base/concentrate.
Assure the functioning of an area of the laboratory, including but not limited to:
Correct SOP's are being properly followed
Records are complete, accurate and timely
Good laboratory practices are being followed
Chemical wastes are properly disposed
Laboratory is clean and organized
SPC, calibration and maintenance of instruments are done as required
Standards are prepared and handled properly
Retention samples are collected and handled as required
Results and dispositions are reported in a timely manner
Resolution of problems with ingredients and finished products
Performs analyses using wet chemical and general laboratory instrumentation (pH, titrators, analytical balances, density meters, spectrophotometer, GC, HPLC)
Releases products and ingredients
Performs and interprets microbiological analyses on ingredients and products that are micro sensitive to ensure the quality and shelf life of products and ingredients
Works with production to ensure accuracy of batch composition
Monitors plant to ensure high sanitary standards are maintained and inspects production lines, equipment, and setup for compliance with concentrate manufacturing and quality standards
Trouble shoots production process problems based on analyses and data interpretation
Investigates and finds solutions to distressed batches and immediately communicates the situation to QA senior Analyst and QA manager
- Perform chemical analyses using instrumental or non-instrumental methods (wet chemical methods) or methods in order to determine the composition of samples.
- Evaluate ingredients, products or packaging materials via visual inspection or by measuring weight, density, stress, dimensions, torque, strength, etc. in order to determine physical properties of samples and compliance with standards.
- Prepare standards or standard curves to perform quantitative analyses.
- Identify, classify, maintain, and protect files, documentation and sensitive information consistent with record handling and retention requirements.
- Interpret data from routine and non-routine analyses in order to validate that ingredients/materials meet specifications and approve for shipment to Company plants.
- Protect the Company and all Company information against unauthorized disclosure, eavesdropping and legal exposure.
- Record data from analyses or experiments in a computer, log book or laboratory notebook.
- Organize workflow and task schedules to maximize laboratory efficiency (e.g., prioritize sample analysis, assign tasks, preventative maintenance).
- Prepare beverages and conduct analytical tests and taste or odor tests according to sensory guidelines, including qualifying taste panelists.
- Maintain laboratory equipment and instrumentation (e.g., troubleshooting, conducting preventative maintenance, calibrating and repairing).
- Find solutions for distressed and problem batches in order to minimize losses.
- Prepare samples and sampling plan for ingredients, intermediate or finished products, or other materials in order to perform analyses (e.g., chemical, physical, sensory, microbiological).
- Develop or validate laboratory test methods or equipment (sampling, monitoring, analytical procedures) in order to ensure reliability and accuracy of analytical results. This may include performing capability studies.
Performs supplier assessments
Other duties as required
People Manager Functions:
Quality, Occupational Safety & Environmental General Responsibilities
Participates in the definition of individual and team objectives / metrics that contribute to continuous improvement, focusing on the quality, occupational safety and environmental aspects.
General Aspects of the Position:
Generally works in a closed environment, in laboratory conditions, with normal level of noise and controllable changes of temperature.
Needs to walk, bend the body, lean, and/or be seated for long periods of time.
Performs light physical effort with little exposure to adverse conditions.
Works with a personal computer and programs to prepare documents or reports and present these to others as necessary.
Applies communication skills to perform work and coordinate with others.
Utilizes advance skills of reading, writing, speaking, analytical capacity and high level of professional judgment to resolve problems affecting work area.
In the lab, associate can be exposed to fumes, dust, strong odors, and/or high temperatures. Must use protective personal equipment as applicable.
At least 2 years
Lives the Values:
Demonstrates the values of The Coca-Cola Company through words, actions, and by example; fosters an environment that reflects the values of the company.
Knowledge and application of Good Laboratory Practices (e.g., handling of chemicals and glassware, preparation of standards and reagents, proper measuring techniques, data management, housekeeping).
Ability to analyze ingredients, syrups, beverages, concentrates or other substances using laboratory instruments. This includes preparation of analytical standards and standard curves.
Knowledge of key ingredients used in production of concentrates and beverage bases (e.g., caramel, citric acid, benzoate, juice, phosphoric acid, maltodentrin).
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by the incumbent. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
Years of Experience:
Generate new or unique solutions and embrace new ideas that help sustain our business(encompassing everything from continuous improvement to new product and package innovation).
COLLABORATE WITH SYSTEM, CUSTOMERS, AND OTHER STAKEHOLDERS:
Develop and leverage relationships with stakeholders to approximately stretch and impact the System (Company and Bottler).
ACT LIKE AN OWNER:
Deliver results, creating value for our Brands, our System, our customers, and key stakeholders.
Inspire people to deliver our mission and 2020 Vision, demonstrate passion for the business and give people a reason to believe anything is possible.
DEVELOP SELF AND OTHERS:
Develop self and support others' development to achieve full potential.
Demonstrates curiosity. Welcomes failure as a learning opportunity.
Makes bold decisions/recommendations.
Understands the upstream and downstream implications of his/her work. Tracks and shares external trends, best practices or ideas.
PERFORMANCE DRIVEN AND ACCOUNTABLE:
Has high performance standards. Outperforms her/his peers.
Removes barriers to move faster. Experiments and adapts. Thrives under pressure and fast pace.
Brings solutions instead of problems. Challenges the status quo. Has the courage to take an unpopular stance.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.