Biogen has one of the most exciting pipelines in the Biotech / Pharmaceutical industry. Over the next five years, the company plans to significantly grow its portfolio. Along with this growth comes many exciting opportunities to work with our expanding business areas. One of these opportunities is to work in R&D IT to support the growing needs of the Discovery Sciences (Research) organization.
Drug discovery and early development research at Biogen is a foundational capability that supports the company’s mission to develop new medicines in Neuroscience related to worldwide neurological disorders.
The scientists working in these areas have diverse needs for technology that include state-of-the-art imaging analysis, data processing, and analytics utilizing High Performance Computing.
As a technical group supporting Research IT we are seeking a talented individual to innovatively address and solve process, technology, data, information and analysis challenges. The successful candidate will be a member of the Research IT Data Sciences group and will work in close partnership with their peers across the Company.
Members of the Data Sciences group will be expected to deal with a changing and diverse research arena and should display a willingness to learn new technology and systems supporting research agility. In this role the successful candidate will communicate with scientific application users to understand their needs and challenges in utilizing research computing systems. They will take direct action to respond to needs, troubleshoot problems, and facilitate research productivity through utilization of application resources. In addition, the Analyst will help develop processes and workflows for data management, tracking, manipulation, and analysis, based upon the needs of research customers.
The role calls for a combination of scientific training and informatics expertise. A strong technical background coupled with exceptional customer service skills is needed.
• Support end-users of research applications to help them with application functionality and troubleshoot problems.
• Oversee and coordinate IT activities related to business needs with our external partners and vendors such as imaging research centers, hospitals etc.
• Manage data transfer from external partners, CROs and Investigators to Biogen managed data facilities (both on premise and off premise).
• Coordinate and assist in application configuration and migration of historical data.
• Manage regular meeting with stakeholders and end users, serving as the conduit between the end users and data sciences.
• Serve as project coordinator for small implementations, including working with external vendors on issues resolution, and working in partnership with a project manager for larger projects.
• Coordinating and assisting in testing & QA for new implementations, enhancements, fixes, and maintenance releases of software application relating to image analysis and research activities and develop scripts, workflows, and automation procedures where required.
• Serving as a "super user", trainer, and technical/functional software support expert during implementations and for prototypes & pilots; serve as an in-house expert and promoter for our application portfolio.
• Work with end users to define concepts with the guidance of project owners.
• Successfully engaging in multiple initiatives simultaneously.
• Handle escalated technical issues and be the technical go-to person.
• Manage interactions with software vendor support resources.
• Elicit, refine and document requirements from end users via interviews, document analysis, requirements workshops, business process descriptions, use cases, scenarios, business analysis, task and workflow analysis for successful implementation of IT research application programs.
• Analyze and evaluate information gathered from multiple sources, reconciling conflicts, translating high-level information into details, as well as being able to redefine low level details into higher level general overarching documentation supporting an overarching IT strategy.
• Translating business needs into application and operational requirements.
• Deliver the following artifacts as needed: Business Requirements, Functional requirements, Use Cases, Test case, Validation protocols and drive the document review process.
• Training in medical imaging, radiology and/or related technologies.
• Experience using software applications in radiology and analytical software for computation and visualization.
• Knowledge of DICOM, PACS, database technologies, utilization of high performance computing technologies, both in the cloud and on premise.
• Experience supporting researchers, imaging specialists, and scientists in biotech/pharma, healthcare, or equivalent academic research computing environment.
• Experience supporting IT needs of researchers in biotech/pharma with a strong background in understanding IT technologies and operating systems.
• Demonstrable knowledge of pharmaceutical research technologies, tools and methodologies.
• Excellent proficiency in technical writing and technical documentation management.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to communicate complex technology matters to audiences with varying degrees of technical background. Proficiency in articulating how technology can be used to enable life science research capabilities.
• Experience with software development life cycle methodology(s) and components that make up the Validation life cycle in line with GxP.
• Experience with laboratory and statistical software used to support chemistry, biology, and related biopharmaceutical disciplines is essential.
• Strong client interface and presentation skills, able to build relationships and a willingness to extend across multiple facets of the organization.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and teamwork skills, with the ability to interact with business users, technical team, project managers, senior management, outsourced service providers, and vendors with an ability to operate effectively in a matrix environment.
• Track record of initiative and outstanding performance, along with being a self-starter and ability to perform and complex task and resolve issues with a minimum of supervision.
• Ability to create automation scripts using shell scripting, Python, SQL, or related scripting and query languages is a plus.
• Exceptional analytical, problem-solving, and troubleshooting abilities.
• Passion for learning.
Only personnel with a minimum of 5 years’ professional experience as a business analysis with applicable experience within bio-pharmaceuticals, pharmaceutical research, and /or the medical device industry as well as scientific background will be considered for this role
Minimum BA or BS in life sciences/computer sciences required.