Pathways Recent Graduates Program affords developmental experiences in the Federal Government intended to promote possible careers in the civil service to individuals who have recently graduated from qualifying educational institutions or programs. Successful applicants are placed in a dynamic, developmental program with the potential to lead to a civil service career in the Federal Government.
Following the completion of program requirements, selectees may be considered for non-competitive conversion to a career-conditional or term appointment. All conversion requirements will be identified in the Participant Agreement. Program requirements include but are not limited to:
-Successful completion of at least 1-year of continuous service;
-Demonstration of successful job performance;
-Completion of at least 40 hours of interactive training; and
-Meet the qualification standards for the position to which the Recent Graduate may be converted.
This position is located in the Government National Mortgage Association (Ginnie Mae),Office of the Chief Financial Officer (OCFO). Ginnie Mae is a wholly owned government corporation created to help expand homeownership opportunities for low and moderate-income Americans, by linking global capital markets to the nation’s housing markets. The mission of OCFO is to lead the Department’s Headquarters and Field Office officials toward the understanding and practice of sound financial management in program development and operations, and in the stewardship of public resources. Ginnie Mae supports the expansion of affordable housing in America by providing an efficient government-guaranteed secondary market vehicle linking the capital market with federal housing markets.
The following are the duties of this position at the GS-13 . If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform all these duties, and will receive training to help you grow in this position.
- Prepares and reviews the financial statements and accounting reports of the Association. Responds to and resolves audit findings and recommendations pertaining to the general ledger functions brought up by the General Accounting Office (GAO), the Office of Inspector General (OIG), HUD's Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and Ginnie Mae internal control reviews.
- Performs in-depth reviews, analyses, and evaluation of major segments of both manual and automated accounting and budget systems to assure their practicality and efficiency relative to the overall goals and objectives of Ginnie Mae.
- Responsible for performing and coordinating the day-to-day operations of major segments of Ginnie Mae's accounting system. Identifies changes to financial systems and procedures which need to be documented and/or which impact existing handbooks and guidelines. Develops procedures that document each change.
- Coordinates and provides staff support for formal presentations, briefings and meetings on accounting and budget matters.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Open to U.S. Citizens or U.S. Nationals who are Recent Graduates and have completed a degree or certificate from a qualifying education institution within the previous 2 yrs. Veterans unable to apply within 2 yrs of receiving their degree, due to military service obligation, have a full 2-year eligibility period upon release or discharge from active duty. The eligibility period for veterans must be within 6 years of degree completion.
Questions? This job is open to 2 groups.
- Job family (Series)
- Accountants And Auditors
- Auditors, Field
- Auditors, Internal
- Field Auditors
Conditions of Employment
Pathways Recent Graduates Program Requirements:
If selected, you must:
1) Adhere to the Recent Graduates Program requirements.
2) Adhere to an established work schedule.
3) Perform, successfully, the assigned duties listed in your position description.
4) Participate in Department training classes or programs.
5) Create an Individual Development Plan (IDP) with assistance from your manager.
6) Select a mentor within 90 days of your date of hire.
7) Attend regularly scheduled meetings with mentor.
See additional "Conditions of Employment" noted below.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in accounting or in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. (The term "accounting" means "accounting and/or auditing" in this standard. Similarly, "accountant" should be interpreted, generally, as "accountant and/or auditor.")
Combination of education and experience: at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. The applicant's background must also include one of the following:
1. Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law;
2. A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; or
3. Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that:
(a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; AND
(b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; AND
(c) except for literal non-conformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.
Specialized experience for the GS-09 , is one year of experience at the GS-07 level, or equivalent, which is directly related to the position as listed in this announcement. Specialized experience is defined as follows:
-Applying accounting principles and policies in order to perform various accounting functions; AND
-Examining loan level accounting invoices from a bank, issuer, servicer, or other entity to ensure request meets funding and account coding requirements; AND
-Reconciling contractor billings to contract award documentation to verify sufficient funding availability.
-2 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or master's or equivalent graduate degree;
-You may qualify by a combination of experience and education. Options for qualifying based on a combination will be identified in the online questions.
Experience may have been gained in either the public, private sector or volunteer service . One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/day/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week on your resume.
Pathways Recent Graduates Education Requirement:
To be eligible for the Pathways Recent Graduates Program, you must have, within the previous two years, completed a qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution; educational institutions must be accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the Secretary of the U. S. Department of Education. Preference eligible veterans who were precluded from applying due to their military service obligation begin their two-year eligibility period upon release or discharge from active duty. Eligibility for these veterans cannot exceed six years from the date they completed their degrees or certification.
Position/Series Education Requirement:
Please see "Qualification" section for position specific education requirements.
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- Relocation expenses will not be paid.
- This is a bargaining unit position.
- This position is Exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
- HUD provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis. Contact the Applicant Call Center at 304-480-7300 for assistance.
- HUD may convert a Pathways Recent Graduate noncompetitively to term or permanent positions in the competitive service. The target position upon conversion is a GS-11 with a full performance level of a GS-13. However, conversion is not mandatory or guaranteed. Recent Graduates must be U.S. citizens and meet the following requirements to be eligible for conversion:
a. Complete at least one year of continuous service;
b. Demonstrate fully successful job performance consistent with the applicable performance appraisal program;
c. Meet the OPM Qualification Standards for the competitive service position to which she or he will be converted;
d. Meet any other agency-specific requirements outlined in her or his Participant Agreement; and
e. Receive a recommendation for conversion from her or his first-level supervisor.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Subject to a one year trial period.
- Must successfully complete a background investigation.
- Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
- Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
HUD employees are prohibited under Section 7501.104, 5 Code of Federal Regulations from directly or indirectly owning, acquiring, or receiving:
- Federal Housing Authority debentures or certificate of claim;
- Financial interest in a project, including any single family dwelling or unit subsidized by HUD, or which is subject to a note or mortgage insured by HUD;
- Section 8 subsidies to or on behalf of a tenant of property you, your spouse, or a dependent child owns.
The following are exceptions to the Section 8 prohibition:
- The employee, or the employee's spouse or minor child acquires, without specific intent as through inheritance, a property in which a tenant receiving such a subsidy already resides;
- The tenant receiving such a subsidy lived in the rental property before the employee worked for the Department;
- The tenant receiving such a subsidy is a parent, child, grandchild, or sibling of the employee;
- The employee's, or the employee's spouse or minor child's, rental property has an incumbent tenant who has not previously received such a subsidy and becomes the beneficiary thereof; or
- The location of the rental property is in a Presidentially declared emergency or natural disaster area and the employee receives prior written approval from an agency designee.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your résumé, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your resume includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume may result in a “not qualified” determination.
Rating : Your application will be evaluated in the following areas: Systems and Technology, Technical, and Analytical skills. Category rating will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. If qualified, you will be assigned to one of three quality level categories: Best Qualified , Better Qualified , and Qualified (Good) depending on your responses to the online questions, regarding your experience, education, and training related to this position. Your rating may be lowered if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application.
Veterans' preference is applied after applicants are assessed. Preference-eligibles will be listed at the top of their assigned category and considered before non-preference-eligibles in that category.
Referral : If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration. You may be required to participate in a selection interview.
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Public Trust - Background Investigation
- Required Documents
A complete application includes 1. A resume, 2. Vacancy question responses, and 3. Submission of any required documents. Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, you may not be considered for this position (or may not receive the special consideration for which you may be eligible).
All applicants are required to submit a resume either by creating one in USAJOBS or uploading one of their own choosing. (Cover letters are optional.) To receive full credit for relevant experience, please list the month/date/year and number of hours worked for experience listed on your résumé. We suggest that you preview the online questions, as you may need to customize your résumé to ensure that it supports your responses to these questions. Please view résumé tips .
VETERANS' PREFERENCE DOCUMENTATION: If you are claiming veterans preference, please see applicant guide for required documentation In order to be considered for veterans preference, you must submit all required documentation as outlined in the applicant guide .
EDUCATION DOCUMENTATION: Transcripts are required at the time of application submission for Pathways Recent Graduates position. For positions with a specific education requirement, submitted transcripts must also meet the specified education requirements. Official transcript(s) will be required if you are selected.
A college or university degree generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools which meet these criteria, please refer to Department of Education Accreditation page.
If you are qualifying based on foreign education, you must submit proof of creditability of education as evaluated by a credentialing agency. Refer to the OPM instructions.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits .
Location Affordability Portal (LAP): The LAP provides estimates of household housing and transportation costs at the neighborhood level to help make more informed decisions about where to live, work, and invest.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.