Crop production is the heartbeat of our operation, and the Farm Manager will play an integral role in the growth and development of the Farm. The Farm Manager will oversee all aspects of crop production, farm infrastructure, and management of farm staff. Key Tasks include establishing crop production; land preparation, crop plan design/rotation, planting, pest management, irrigation, propagation, transplanting, weeding, harvesting, cleaning and preparation of produce for retail outlets.
Results & Responsibilities
As a key member of an ever-evolving company, the Farm Manager must be able to engage with all levels, inspire teams, and promote results. This position requires dedication and skill in intensive growing techniques, personal and professional maturity, creativity, and commitment to the vision and mission of Forts Ferry Farm.
Expected results of this position:
- A diverse assortment of premium produce that can be sold to our retail and wholesale clients and to use for FFF made products.
- Daily management of the field workers to utilize their efforts in most effective ways, provide them with critical substantive feedback and hold them accountable for their tasks at hand.
- An agricultural aesthetic that aligns with the company’s vision which is achieved through pest and weed management, land preparation and maintenance.
The job will encompass, but is not limited to, the following duties and responsibilities…
- Develop and implement crop plan, planting, and harvesting schedule for each season (spring/summer/fall), and 3 season management of greenhouses.
- Track farm operations and data, including crop plans, planting schedule, growth monitoring, compost production, and soil nutrient management.
- Project expected produce available for harvest on a weekly basis.
- Making sure that all crop outlets are supplied with produce that are of the company’s standard and pars.
- Support farm infrastructure development including irrigation systems, greenhouses, outbuildings, and equipment.
- Supervise the farm team in day to day tasks ensuring accountability and providing them feedback.
- Adhere to farm health code guidelines and inspections.
- Harvesting, washing and packing for retail according to GAPs and FSMA specifications.
- Utilize sustainable organic agricultural methods, to include weed management, integrated pest management, and development of soil structure through composting and other organic methods.
- Assist in implementation of farm education, volunteer programs, tours and events.
The Farm Manager of FFF is a very dynamic position. This individual will possess vast knowledge in many facets of the agricultural industry in order to produce the best work. The FFF Farm Manager must also have a maturity of spirt, understand accountability, and have the ability give and receive substantive feedback. This means being a coach, a teacher, an instructor, and a critic all at once which will maximize the talents of the team.
- 3+ years of experience in vegetable production using sustainable agriculture practices
- 3+ years of experience with operating and maintaining agricultural equipment
- 2+ years of management experience
- Experience in managing crop rotation & planting schedules
- Implementing and maintaining irrigation systems
- Knowledge of food & health safety guidelines and environmental standards/ regulations
- Valid Driver’s License
- Possess clear communication, presentation, problem-solving and project-management skills
- Possess strong interpersonal and motivational skills, the ability to effectively supervise and inspire staff, and the ability to work well under pressure
- General knowledge of construction
- General knowledge of Adobe, Microsoft Word, and Excel programs
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $45,000.00 to $55,000.00 /year
- Health insurance
- Paid time off