Responsible for administrative functions in the Division of Transportation including administrative support, records management, and oversight and responsibility for all personnel and equipment qualifications, finance and accounting processes, and legal compliance records. Gathers, and maintains division's employee and equipment inspection documents. Works closely with MVA for bus inspection records and preventive maintenance. Liaison between MSDE, legal contacts, and insurance companies as it relates to equipment and accident related coordination. Processes invoices, purchasing documentation, budget and finance information for the division. Establishes and maintains record keeping systems to monitor employees', contract personnel, and equipment compliance with mandated requirements. Assists with office phone coverage.
- Coordinates school bus accident response and administration. Contacts police, schools and insurance carriers as accident investigation is proceeding. Gathers police data, investigative data, and statements from drivers, maintains, reporting responsibility, and communicates with Staff.
- Maintains data and oversight for Transportation’s Accident Review Board including statistics, driver notifications, and determinations of preventability, database maintenance, member compensation, and information concerning resulting personnel actions.
- Acts as liaison for bus accident disposition between AACPS and insurance carriers, attorneys, parents and all levels of staff, including details of injury, litigation and claims, and coordinates any resultant actions with appropriate individuals and entities.
- Maintains litigation files, through completion of action.
- Assists with daily office phone coverage.
- Maintains and is contact for MSDE accident reporting and final annual report processing.
- Compiles information required to produce MSDE Yearly Transportation Report.
- Develops and maintains school bus inspection schedule. Responsible for bus inspections and complete data maintenance on all inspection services. Provides actual inspection services to include emergency escape devices, window conditions, electronic buzzers and latches, and view for vandalism and cleanliness.
- Maintains electronic and paper inspection history for each bus Agency and contractor-owned. Compiles report data on defects.
- Prepares material and data and acts as liaison to the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration for all certification and registration activity for Agency and contractor-owned buses.
- Tracks and disposes of vehicle repair orders.
- Coordinates and is responsible for preventive maintenance notifications and associated records for Agency and contractor-owned buses.
- Oversees school bus evacuation drills, which occur three times per year. Maintains records of compliance for each school.
- Prepares, collects, reviews and records time and mileage information three times per year for contractor-owned buses.
- Processes Purchase orders for Departmental requirements, maintains office files/logs for the efficient processing and filing of purchase orders, requisitions and invoices; researches contract pricing terms.
- Maintains detailed cost accounting records to include the finance, inventory, overhead, bus inspection, and expenditures utilizing mainframe accounting systems and spreadsheet applications. Prepares financial reports, schedules, summaries or other correspondence relative to assigned. Maintains confidential files to ensure that all CDL drivers and Cab drivers are compliant relative to pre-service and periodic and random drug testing.
- Maintains confidential bus driver and taxi cab drivers’ MVA records.
- Reviews DOT (Department of Transportation) physical reports received from physicians; verifying completeness; validate blood pressure readings and eye examination results, verify signatures of the driver and the physician; send correspondence as necessary to identify and ultimately correct records.
- Maintains Safety Award eligibility, records and materials ordering.
- Acts as liaison with Investigations and Office of School Security regarding all criminal background checks as well as generation of monthly report of current driver/attendant roster.
- Maintains Sexual Offender database information received from the Investigations Division.
- Generates monthly list of new drivers supporting Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration’s (MVA) “MVA GO” system to immediately flag any changes that may occur on driving records.
- Performs other related duties as assigned within the same classification or lower.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High School Diploma or Equivalency Certificate required.
- Associate's Degree in applicable field of education from a regionally accredited college or university preferred.
- Four (4) years recent secretarial/clerical office experience, purchasing, accounting or transportation field required.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Characteristics
- Ability to exercise initiative and good judgment in the timely execution of delegated administrative responsibilities.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in written form with the general public, contractors, manufacturers, and Anne Arundel County Public Schools’ staff.
- Ability to exercise tact and cooperation in dealing with Anne Arundel County Public Schools personnel, contractors, outside agencies, and the general public.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from specialists, contractors, affiliated agencies, and the general public.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work and communicate with diverse populations.
- Demonstrated proficiency with business technology applications (e.g. Video/Web Conferencing, Microsoft Office Suite -Word, Excel, Outlook, and/or PowerPoint preferred). For new permanent secretarial/clerical/technician hires, a minimum score on a pre-employment assessment is required.
- Satisfactory score on any test required.
Licenses and Certifications
Employee must retain active licenses, certifications, and enrollment as a condition of employment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS
The physical demands and working conditions described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sitting: over 2/3 percent of the time
- Keyboarding: over 2/3 percent of the time
- As required by the duties and responsibilities of the position.
The vision demands with correction described here are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less)
- Office, school or similar indoor environment: over 2/3 percent of the time
Reports to Generic:
Reports to Specific:
Secretaries and Assistants Association of Anne Arundel County (SAAAAC)
HR JOB INFORMATION
FLSA Exemption Status:
SG10 Click HERE to view salary scale. Scroll down to locate (Unit 4 - SAAAAC).