- High School Diploma or GED
- Senior Professional in Human Resources
- Applicant Tracking System Experience
- Driver's License
- Customer Service
- Professional In Human Resources
DPS - ADM - Employment Specialist II (00002549)
Organization: TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
Primary Location: Texas-Austin
Work Locations: AUSTIN HQ (MAIN) PO BOX 4087 5805 N LAMAR BLVD, AUSTIN TX 78752 Austin 78773
Job: Business and Financial Operations
Employee Status: Regular
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
State Job Code: 1731
Salary Admin Plan: B
Salary (Pay Basis): 3,300.00 - 3,300.00 (Monthly)
Number of Openings: 2
Overtime Status: Non-exempt
Job Posting: Aug 28, 2018, 8:11:32 AM
Closing Date: Ongoing
All applications must contain complete job histories, which includes job title, dates of employment, name of employer, supervisor's name and phone number and a description of duties performed. If this information is not submitted, your application may be rejected because it is incomplete. Resumes do not take the place of this required information.
SUBMITTED THROUGH WORK IN TEXAS: Work In Texas (WIT) applicants must complete the supplemental questions to be considered for the posting. In order to complete the supplemental questions please go to CAPPS Recruit to register or login and access your profile. Go to CAPPS Recruit to Sign In https://capps.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en
*** Salary Has Been Updated ***
Perform journey-level human resources (HR) work. Work involves performing various human resource administration functions, such as job announcements; recruiting; data entry and coding; new hire orientation; and assisting in the development, revision, and presentation various training modules. Work under moderate supervision, with limited latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
The following Military Occupational Specialty codes are generally applicable to this position. Applicants must fully complete the summary of experience to determine if minimum qualifications are met. 42A, 79R, 79S, 79T, 42B, 42H, 120X, 168X, 641X, 11, 14, 12, 018, 8411, 8412, 3S0X1, 3S1X1
ESSENTIAL DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Coordinate, prepare, and participate in recruitment activity including but not limited to drafting job postings and supplemental questions, posting positions, reviewing and screening applications for qualifications, , and assisting hiring managers with preparation of related documents and processes.
2. Perform technical and administrative work in support of the human resources office and maintain human resource files and records.
3. Administer human resources programs and processes related to employment, compensation, recruiting, and personnel actions.
4. Perform applicant record checks querying state and national crime information databases and driver history database.
5. Verify, code, and enter employee actions into a variety of HRIS systems.
6. Coordinate the administrative processing of newly hired and separating employees, employment verifications, and employment document questions on employees.
7. Compose, edit, and proofread routine correspondence, memoranda, forms, and related documents to ensure accuracy and correctness.
8. Provide assistance on classification, compensation, recruitment, salary administration, and other miscellaneous matters.
9. May conduct audits of human resources activities to ensure compliance with policies and procedures.
10. May prepare training material, present material, and train HR staff.
11. May conduct and prepare job analysis, job descriptions, and recommend determine Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) exemption status.
12. Perform other duties as assigned
GENERAL QUALIFICATIONS and REQUIREMENTS:
Education – Graduation from high school or the equivalent. Graduation from an accredited four (4) year college or university with major course work in human resources management, business or public administration, organizational development, or a related field is preferred.
Experience – Minimum one (1) year comprehensive experience in Human Resources. Experience involving application, selection, and employment procedures are preferred.
Licensure and/or Certification - Certification as a Professional in Human Resources (PHR) or Senior PHR (SPHR) is preferred. Valid driver license from state of residence.
Regulatory knowledge - Memorize and effectively apply various sets of complex procedural steps within the framework of applicable rules, regulations, and policies.
Human Resources knowledge - Knowledge of, or ability to rapidly learn, the functions and interrelated influences of the various employment-related functions in Human Resources.
Interpersonal and Leadership skills - Must exercise excellent interpersonal and customer service skills - position continually requires demonstrated poise, tact, diplomacy, and an ability to establish and maintain positive and effective working/professional relationships with co-workers, supervisors, and internal/external customers while consistently achieving positive outcomes. Able to work effectively as a team member in a shared-office environment with frequent interruptions and distractions, moderate noise levels, and consistent and occasionally peaked time/volume/accuracy pressures.
Communication/presentation skills – Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, and be comfortable speaking or presenting to various and diverse groups. Able to understand, interpret, and effectively apply complex oral and written instructions and procedures. Apply accurate English grammar, spelling, punctuation, and composition details; and in proofreading numerical and narrative documents to identify and correct errors
Organizational and analytical skills - Must be organized, flexible, and able to prioritize in a fast-paced, multi-demand, change-oriented, and time-critical environment that occasionally demand simultaneous progress on multiple tasks and to make sound work-related judgments and decisions while maintaining positive and effective professional relationships at all levels of the organization. Must be analytical and detail-oriented, able to analyze problems, identify causative factors, and apply actions to effectively resolve and prevent recurrences of problem conditions.
Computer/research knowledge - Must be proficient with various software: e.g. word processing, graphics, desktop publishing, spreadsheets, Applicant Tracking System, Uniform Statewide Payroll System (USPS), and other human resource databases. Ability to learn the procedures for and query the Texas Crime Information Center (TCIC), National Crime Information Center (NCIC), Driver License System (DLS), and other applicable criminal history databases.
Ability to work standard and/or nonstandard schedules - Able to occasionally work extended hours during fiscal year processes or in response to agency needs including evenings and weekends.
Confidentiality - Must be able to responsibly handle sensitive and confidential information and situations.
PHYSICAL and/or ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS:
The physical and environmental demands described here are representative of those encountered and/or necessary for the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job; reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Office environment;
2. Ambulatory skills, e.g. stand, walk, sit, stoop, and bend;
3. Hand-eye coordination and arm/hand/finger dexterity;
4. Ability to speak, hear, and exercise visual acuity;
5. Ability to transfer weights of ten (10) pounds anticipated for this position;
6. Driving requirements for this position: occasional (5%).
State of Texas Benefits and Retirement Information: https://www.ers.texas.gov/
DPS employee who is selected for a position in their current salary group and state title will be transferred with no salary change.
DPS employee who is selected for a position in their current salary group with a new state title may receive an increase up to 3.4%.
Salary is contingent upon qualifications and is subject to salary administration and budgetary restrictions.
DUE TO THE HIGH VOLUME OF APPLICATIONS WE DO NOT ACCEPT TELEPHONE CALLS. ONLY CANDIDATES SELECTED FOR INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED.
State of Texas retirees may be rehired for full-time, non-commissioned positions only under very specific circumstances.