Occidental Petroleum Corporation
(NYSE: OXY) is an international oil and gas exploration and production company, and its OxyChem subsidiary is a major North American chemical manufacturer. We are one of the largest U.S. oil and gas companies, based on equity market capitalization, with more than 40,000 employees and contractors worldwide.
Our greatest asset has been and will continue to be our people. We are looking for an experienced and motivated individual to fill the position of IT Strategy Advisor
within our IT PMO
based in Houston, Tx.
- Develop and continuously improve the One.PMO Project Management Methodology, and ensure its effective use in all projects.
- Plan, direct, and manage a wide range of projects in a matrixed organization, through the entire Project Management Lifecycle to include: Originating, Initiating, Planning, Execution, Monitoring and Control, and Closing.
- Work with stakeholders (i.e. Application Owners, Business Owners, Enterprise Architects, Engineers and Subject Matter Experts) to identify and document the project’s business requirements, charter, scope, products, tasks, dependencies, risks, constraints, assumptions, quality control, cost control, roles and responsibilities, communications requirements and resource requirements.
- Work with domestic and international IT Managers and Directors to communicate the resource requirements under their area of responsibility and obtain time estimates and commitment to meet the project schedule and budget requirements.
- This position plays a key role in integrating the efforts of the domestic based teams and International teams to deliver standard, timely, and quality solutions to meet strategic business requirements
- Develop and keep current, project management plans, schedules, budgets, and associated documents using Oxy’s standard Project Management software tools and One.PMO Methodology, standards, procedures, and guidelines
- Work with functional managers and directors to forecast budget outlooks
- Conduct progress review meetings to ensure the project team members have up-to-date and sufficient information about the scope, deliverables and expected completion date of the tasks under their responsibility.
- Practice project risk management throughout the project lifecycle to identify potential risks and opportunities and plan appropriate risk mitigation or means to exploit opportunities.
- Monitor and control the project progress and work with the project sponsors and functional managers to ensure that adequate and appropriate funding and resources are provided to complete the project deliverables as designed and agreed upon.
- Practice disciplined project change management to reduce scope creep and ensure that all project changes that impact the project scope, budget, and schedule are properly evaluated and potential impacts communicated.
- Coordinate and facilitate ad-hoc project audits and reviews as required, adjusting project plans accordingly and informing stakeholders of any impact in their projects / tasks.
- Lead, coach, mentor, motivate and supervise project team members and contractors, and influence them to take positive action and assume responsibility and accountability for their assigned work.
- Provide feedback on project team members to functional managers, highlighting exception effort in particular
- Build, develop, and grow any business relationships vital to the success of the project.
- Provide and encourage an environment of diversity of thought, ideas, experiences, perspectives, and cultures
- Must show respect for personnel of all cultures at all times.
- This position will require some domestic and international travel.
- Interface with third party vendors to negotiate solutions and pursue management approval as needed by the project
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the IT PMO and Business Development Manager
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Project Management, Computer Science, Business or related fields.
- Minimum 5 years managing Information Technology related projects
- Minimum of 10 years working in the Information Technology field.
- Current PMI PMP Certification or on-track for the PMP certification in the next 6 months.
- Technical Skills (functional skills related to the profession) -
- Must be able to manage multiple projects with competing priorities
- Must be able to manage project teams that are collocated and in remote locations.
- Soft Skills (communication, problem solving, team player, self-starter, etc.) – This individual must be someone who:
- Has demonstrated the ability to work around and remove obstacles to resolve problems associated with delivering projects, on time, on budget, and within the established scope.
- Has excellent and demonstrable written and oral communication skills and the ability to effectively communicate within all levels of the organization.
- Has exceptional conflict management skills.
- Certifications –
- PMI PMP certification or equivalent
- Six Sigma
- Other Experience –
- Familiarity with Agile or other SDLC methodologies and practices.
- Arabic and/or Spanish language skills
- Familiarity with ITIL or other ITSM models.
- Other Skills –
- Microsoft Project Server including Project Center
- Microsoft SharePoint, including SharePoint Designer
- Microsoft Access
- Has demonstrated proficiency in managing and leading organizational change
- Computer Skills (indicate proficiency level required for Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook, etc. in addition to other non-Microsoft Office software) - Proficiency with Microsoft Project Professional 2013
Other - Ability to adapt to constantly changing business conditions.