Insurance Consultant Job Summary
We are seeking a motivated and organized Insurance Consultant to join our agency. You will develop new leads to establish clients and provide the insurance products they need. We offer a wide variety of insurance services, including auto and homeowner’s insurance, and our goal is to find the best policies for each client. You will be responsible for keeping up with insurance trends and changes to the coverage offered by different insurance companies. We prefer candidates who have at least one year of experience in insurance or sales.
Insurance Consultant Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop leads and schedule appointments with clients
- Determine the specific needs of particular clients by researching current coverage and available options
- Answer questions related to coverage and annual charges
- Help customers complete all paperwork properly
- Obtain underwriting approval by completing the application for coverage
- Attend meetings, seminars and programs to learn about new products and services, learn new skills, and receive technical assistance in developing new accounts.
- Calculate premiums and establish payment method.
- Call on policyholders to deliver and explain policy, to analyze insurance program and suggest additions or changes, or to change beneficiaries.
- Confer with clients to obtain and provide information when claims are made on a policy.
- Contact underwriter and submit forms to obtain binder coverage.
- Customize insurance programs to suit individual customers, often covering a variety of risks.
- Develop marketing strategies to compete with other individuals or companies who sell insurance.
- Ensure that policy requirements are fulfilled, including any necessary medical examinations and the completion of appropriate forms.
- Explain features, advantages and disadvantages of various policies to promote sale of insurance plans.
- Inspect property, examining its general condition, type of construction, age, and other characteristics, to decide if it is a good insurance risk.
- Interview prospective clients to obtain data about their financial resources and needs, the physical condition of the person or property to be insured, and to discuss any existing coverage.
- Monitor insurance claims to ensure they are settled equitably for both the client and the insurer.
- Perform administrative tasks, such as maintaining records and handling policy renewals.
- Seek out new clients and develop clientele by networking to find new customers and generate lists of prospective clients.
- Select company that offers type of coverage requested by client to underwrite policy.
- Sell various types of insurance policies to businesses and individuals on behalf of insurance companies, including automobile, fire, life, property, medical and dental insurance or specialized policies such as marine, farm/crop, and medical malpractice.
Insurance Consultant Requirements and Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Licensed to sell Insurance in Ohio
- Prior sales experience a plus
- Proficient with Microsoft Office
- Strong communication skills
- Organized, self-motivated, and proactive in problem-solving
- Access media advertising services
- Communicate visually or verbally
- Compute financial data
- Conduct sales presentations
- Determine customer needs
- Evaluate degree of financial risk
- Fill out business or government forms
- Follow contract, property, or insurance laws
- Inspect property
- Interview customers
- Maintain records, reports, or files
- Make decisions
- Make presentations
- Motivate people
- Obtain information from individuals
- Provide customer service
- Sell insurance policies
- Use accounting or bookkeeping software
- Use computers to enter, access or retrieve data
- Use interpersonal communication techniques
- Use knowledge of written communication in sales work
- Use marketing techniques
- Use telephone communication techniques
- Use word processing or desktop publishing software
Job Types: Full-time, Commission
- Insurance Sales: 1 year (Preferred)
- Insurance License (Required)
- Flexible schedule
- Professional development assistance
Typical start time:
Typical end time: