Campus Enterprises is NC State’s lead division of retail and hospitality organizations — NC State Dining, NC State Stores, Trademark Licensing, Lonnie Poole Golf Course, NC State Student Centers (Witherspoon and Talley), Rave! Event Services and the Wolfpack One Card Services. Each unit shares a common goal: deliver quality and efficient services with dedicated financial support for student activity and scholarships.
NC State Dining is a department within the Campus Enterprises Division. NC State Dining provides campus wide food service to students, staff, and faculty and the corporate partners on centennial campus. NC State Dining operates 14 dining areas, 7 convenience stores, campus concessions, a nutritional counseling service and catering department.
Essential Job Duties
Grow your culinary career with NC State Dining. Work with dedicated and experienced dining professionals who are available to provide on-the-job training and support to help you meet your full potential.
This position serves as a lead cook in the Talley Student Union and will assign and direct efforts of other food service technicians and temporary employees.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
•Help check in, store, and move food supplies prior to and during production.
•Work with front of house staff to serve food and coordinate the flow of food from production to customers.
•Keep track of food levels and orders during meal time to ensure timely service.
•Enter necessary data information into C-Bord Food Production System if necessary in the absence of a supervising chef.
•Perform necessary cleaning of utensils, workplace, tables, shelves, and equipment and communicate cleaning assignments to other back of house employees.
• Ensure food prep and staff are ready for service.
•Ensure daily food preparation list are completed.
•Ensure proper rotation of products.
•Other duties as assigned.
Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Demonstrated possession of the competencies necessary to perform the work.
Some positions may require certification by the Department of Correction.
Departmental Required Skills
• Must have understanding and can execute proper cooking techniques (roast, grill, fry, steam and boil food items according to a recipe).
• Must be able to read, write, and do mathematical problem solving (add, subtract, multiply, divide, percentages and fractions).
• Ability to communicate effectively with customers, supervisors, and peers.
• Ability to maintain Grade A sanitation rating of 95% or better.
• Provide exemplary customer service to every guest.
• Ability to learn new computer software.
• Must be able to lift up to 60 pounds, with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Must be able to stand for long periods of time. Requires bending, twisting, pulling and pushing. Because of the nature of a food service operations and working in in a kitchen, you must be able to work in extremely hot and cold conditions.
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
• Culinary experience, degree and/or experience
• Past supervisory experience preferred
• At least three years’ experience in restaurant
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel
Required License or Certification
•ServSafe certification or the ability to obtain within 90 days of employment.
•Certification must be maintained as a condition of employment.
Job Open Date
Must Be Open Until- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.)
Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?
Proposed Hire Date
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree verified at www.wes.org. Degree must be obtained prior to start date.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.