Under general supervision, performs a variety of clerical and routine technical accounting duties in support of the Agency's accounts receivable and other Accounting functions; coordinates assigned Accounts Receivable functions with other Agency departments and outside agencies; prepares a variety of reports, notices, and maintains records of accounts receivable activity; provides departmental information and assistance to Agency staff and the general public. Must display positive and proactive attitude, strong organizational skills, the ability to prioritize and multi-task and be a strong communicator in writing, in person, and over the phone.
**THIS JOB POSTING MAY BE USED TO FILL MULTIPLE POSITIONS
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following duties ARE NOT intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
- Perform general bookkeeping and clerical accounting duties and responsibilities involved in financial record keeping and reporting for accounts receivable; maintain a variety of accounting records and files; verifies, balances, and adjust accounting records as appropriate.
- Prepare customer invoices, monthly statements, and refunds.
- Serve as the point of contact regarding receivable records and balances.
- Apply unapplied cash receipts to appropriate customer accounts and verify details of transactions.
- Enter and apply credit/debit memos.
- Reconcile receivables general ledger accounts.
- Participate in monthly aging discussions with affected divisions and legal, where necessary.
- Perform collection follow-up activities with affected divisions, and solicit payments on overdue accounts as required.
- Provide backup support for the travel administrator and other accounting personnel as needed and perform other general administrative duties.
- Rely on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform job functions.
- Work under immediate supervision of AR Lead, typically Senior Accountant or Supervisor.
- It is the responsibility of all employees to follow the Agency safety rules, regulations, and procedures pertaining to their assigned duties and responsibilities, which could include systems, operations, and/or other employees.
- It is the responsibility of all employees to integrate sustainability into everyday business practices.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
High School Diploma/GED and two years of specialized technical or college level courses in finance principles, bookkeeping and accounting; and two years of accounts receivable, clerical accounting, or similar experience; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Licenses or Certifications:
Required Knowledge of:
Required Skill in:
- Principles and practices of accounts receivable processing and collections.
- Basic accounting, bookkeeping, and mathematical principles and practices.
- Office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and applicable software applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
- Accounts receivable and invoicing functions within an Enterprise accounting software system.
- Report preparation and presentation.
- Customer service methods and techniques.
- Utilizing enterprise accounting programs to prepare a variety of financial and administrative reports.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with internal and external customers.
- Preparing and maintaining accounts receivable related accounting records.
- Researching accounts receivable transactions and reconciling accounts receivable problems.
- Identifying and resolving general problems in a timely manner using sound judgment.
- Responding to general inquiries and in effective oral and written communication.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
Sound Transit is an equal employment opportunity employer. No person is unlawfully excluded from employment action based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status or other protected class.
- Work is performed in a standard office environment.
- Subject to standing, walking, bending, reaching, stooping, and lifting of objects up to 25 pounds.
- The Agency promotes a safe and healthy work environment and provides appropriate safety and equipment training for all personnel as required.