We’re Total Respawn, a Boston area startup focused on creating Virtual Reality arcade amusements for the location based entertainment industry (arcades and entertainment centers). Over the past few years, we have been a part of the MIT Play Labs accelerator, opened & closed two brick & mortar locations and had over 10,000 paying customers. During that time we’ve perfected our designs for the physical attraction aspect of our product and we are currently in the process of developing the first featured game for the attraction.
Our attraction will serve as the ultimate platform for VR arcade shooter experiences. The attraction is built to support two players at a time, with the possibility for clients to link two attractions and allow for a combined 4 player experience. We will be using the HTC VR platform paired with the Striker VR recoil blasters and developing using the Unity engine.
We’re looking for an experienced game designer to join our founding team. As the newest member of our team, you’ll be onboarded in the lessons through our experience, briefed as to how they apply to our current “big picture” game design and core loop design, and lead the charge from there in helping us create the most compelling experience imaginable for our players.
During our time in operation, we have established several pillars that align and mutually support our attraction design's strengths and competitive advantages. Our current game and likely all subsequent titles will be designed with respect to the following high level pillars:
- Enemy designs that work towards the primary goal of incenting players to cooperate and work together to defeat adversaries
- Simple, yet versatile mechanics - Our attraction is self operated and requires players to learn the game on their own and quickly while providing avenues for discovery and experimentation among return players. A tight onboarding sequence will be critical.
- Never a dull moment - players should constantly have meaningful actions to take right from the start of the game with only brief, planned rests throughout the experience.
- A “Mom-Approved Ultra Violence,” or “Doom meets Disney” art style.
- Incenting stylish movement among the players - all game play is filmed using mixed reality technology, superimposing players into the virtual world in streaming video.
- Fun and engaging asymmetrical multiplayer features that allow for outside observers to participate in the ongoing VR experience using arcade controls on the outside of the attraction.
The ideal candidate should have
- At least one shipped game. Experience designing fast action gameplay with social, cooperative elements, shooter games or similar relevant experience. VR design experience is a plus.
- A positive and motivated disposition, self-starting attitude and outstanding work ethic.
- Exceptional communication skills and a good sense of humor.
- Additional skills & experience: 2d/3d art, animation, programming or audio to contribute to development (not required)
We have been bootstrapping our company and product development over the past few years and will continue to do so into 2020. This role will start as an equity paid founding team member position and transition into either a paid full time or contract position depending on the candidate. Further details on the product and company will be reviewed with qualified candidates.
Location based VR products have the capability of going above and beyond what your average consumer could possibly imagine experiencing in home. We believe that our product will be, pound for pound, the most valuable location based VR attraction on the market and that our content will have the potential to provide for one of the most compelling VR experiences to date. If this sounds like your dream company or project, then you are who we want to hear from.
If you are not a designer, but have skills and experience related to art, animation or programming then feel free to get in touch with a resume and cover letter detailing how you feel you would add value to the team. We are always happy to chat with people who may be a good fit for the team now or in the future.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
- Game Design/Development: 5 years (Preferred)
- Greater Boston (Preferred)
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Innovative -- innovative and risk-taking
- Outcome-oriented -- results-focused with strong performance culture
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative