Title: Product Development Manager
Location: Headquarters is San Ramon, CA
About the Company:
For more than a quarter of a century Japonesque has created cutting edge beauty products inspired by the professional makeup tools used in Kabuki theatre in Japan. Japonesque’s product line includes makeup brushes, eyelash curlers, tweezers, makeup cases and other beauty accessories as well as a recently launched line of color cosmetics. The collection combines high-impact fashion color with pro performance and flawlessly refined complexion formulations. The unprecedented color and long wear textures are housed in one-of-a-kind luxurious packaging.
Japonesque supplies cosmetics, beauty tools, and hair products to the prestige and mass market retail channels. The company distributes and markets branded and private label products across multiple categories and retail customers including Ulta and CVS.
Japonesque products have been sold in leading prestige beauty retailers and with the recent introduction of products into the drug and mass channels, the Company has experienced explosive growth. Having recently partnered with leading consumer Private Equity firm, San Francisco Equity Partners, the Company is profitable with no short term need for additional capital to fund growth.
About the Position:
The Product Development Manager will oversee projects in the development of Japonesque products. We are looking for a candidate that has demonstrated superior product development capabilities and that can provide creative input and design to our product development team.
This person will oversee the potential and practicality of products in development.
The ideal candidate should be ambitious and entrepreneurial. She/he should contribute to a positive culture and have outstanding team-building skills.
This is an exempt full time position based in the Company’s San Ramon, California office.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee development projects ensuring deadlines are met and launch occurs in a timely manner
- Communicate all time lines, costs, MOQ, formula attributes and ingredient listings for products in development to both internal and external colleagues
- Evaluate submissions and review prior to submitting to internal and external teams
- Analyze and plan product costs ensuring gross margins goals are met
- Develop relationships with existing and new suppliers, internal cross functional teams and customers/brands
- Organize and manage data necessary for new item setup, product information sheets/data bases, product samples, ingredients, and product pricing
- Assist product development team in market research and comparable market sampling.
- Help to identify new ideas and evaluate business opportunities that maximize revenue and profitability and minimize risk, using market research, analysis and/or competitive market intelligence
- Stay abreast of the competitive market; research retail environment for product, trend, pricing, comp items.
- Travel domestically and internationally when necessary.
Essential Skills & Characteristics:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field is required.
- Ability to work quickly under pressure and thrive in a rapidly changing, fast-paced environment
- A team player possessing strong interpersonal skills with an ability to develop relationships and communicate with all levels of management
- Organized, positive, and high-energy individual with an entrepreneurial spirit and an ability to execute with high attention to detail
- Sense of urgency, persistence, and determination, yet flexible and open to internal and external feedback on products being developed
- Understands the importance of timelines and meeting deadlines
- Solid computer skills including proficiency in MS Word, MS Excel & MS Outlook, SalesForce and Basecamp experience a plus.
- A Collaborative team player with the confidence to take the lead, when appropriate.
- Enthusiasm for the beauty industry and its products, marketing, advertising, and popular culture trends. Strong desire to provide the best product possible.
- Experience working in smaller, high-growth companies is a plus.
- Ability to thrive in a rapidly changing, fast-paced environment.
Job Type: Full-time
- relevant: 2 years (Preferred)
- Product Management: 1 year (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off