Do you desire to be part of a hardworking, dynamic IT Project Management team that is passionate about advancing an organization into the next generation of information technology business services?
Are you keenly interested in working in an environment that offers the opportunity to partner with staff, stakeholders and external consultants on multiple projects?
Is your expertise in financial management, human resource management, planning or reporting technologies?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
The nation's leading university affiliated research center is looking for a Senior IT Applications Project Manager. You will be working with engineers, scientists and business professionals that are addressing critical challenges of our nation.
For the third straight year we were ranked as one of Computerworld's Top Places to Work in IT and are seeking bright, dedicated hard-working members to add to our team.
As a Senior IT Applications Project Manager you will...
- Lead inter-related projects through effective approaches to integrate Commercial Off-the-Shelf (COTS), Software-as-a-Service, and custom-developed software tools;
- Lead all phases of the software development lifecycle through interactions with key business users, subject matter experts and business application project teams, integrating complex business rules across multiple enterprise-wide systems;
- Provide technical project leadership including active participation in resolution of business and technical issues, input and guidance over architectural/design processes and oversight of design/development tasks;
- Provide guidance to team members and quality control over deliverables; Oversee the integration of projects within the overall business portfolio;
- Coordinate activities of key business users that are supporting the requirements, design, development, testing and implementation phases;
- Manage costs, schedules, and risks
– Develop project plans. Monitor, analyze, control, and communicate project milestones and progress updates on the frequency determined by the program sponsor and/or steering team
You meet our minimum qualifications if you...
Have a Bachelor's degree in IT or a related field or equivalent years of IT professional work experience;
Have 10 years’ professional IT work experience including at least 8 years’ software project management;
Possess strong project management skills including 5 years’ experience leading in one or more of the following areas: business, financial, human resources and facilities applications projects or software development;
Possess and apply detailed knowledge and experience with software development life cycle and modern software engineering practices including agile development techniques;
Possess very strong written and oral communication skills with the proven ability to develop and deliver briefings to senior management using MS PowerPoint, Word and Excel; and deliver presentations to all levels of staff.
Have worked with a broad and diverse user community to gather requirements, to develop and validate solutions supporting enterprise-wide business systems, including implementation of COTS and Custom-developed solutions.
You will go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
Have experience with the development and deployment of business applications with focus on planning, budgeting, estimating and reporting systems;
Have experience with development environments and tools used to augment and extend functionality of COTS software;
Have worked with a broad and diverse user community to gather requirements, to develop and validate solutions supporting enterprise-wide business systems, including implementation of COTS and Custom-developed solutions;
Have change management experience and the ability to achieve user adoption;
Have presented to and gained consensus from executive-level stakeholders.
Have experience with COTS technologies in the domains of business, human resources, financial and facilities.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.