General Description: Responsible for providing comprehensive assessment, planning, implementation and overall evaluation of individual and program needs. Duties include service planning, advocate on behalf of youths, collaborate with other service providers and managing crisis situations as needed. The Case manager provides administrative support to programs by maintaining comprehensive youth files, conducting data-entry and completing required documentation. As a member of Covenant House Michigan you will be responsible for upholding Covenant House policies, procedures and codes of conduct while assuring that the needs of our youth are being met.
Educational and work experience requirements:
- Master’s Degree in Social Work or Human Services, preferably in a residential program required.
- Minimum of 2 years related experience working with at-risk youth.
- Previous knowledge working in the mental health field strongly desired.
- Knowledge of adolescent development, crisis intervention & multicultural awareness required.
- Training & staff development experience required.
- PC/Computer experience with working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Valid Michigan Driver’s license with acceptable driving record as required by insurance company.
- Sufficient health, ability, experience, and education to perform the assigned duties with or without accommodation.
- Belief in Covenant House Michigan Mission Statement and desire to fulfill the mission
- Awareness of and sensitivity to the needs of homeless and at-risk youth that Covenant House Michigan serves.
Essential skills and abilities:
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, representatives of other agencies, and the public.
- Ability to effectively communicate, verbally and in writing, with both internal and external individuals and/or businesses.
- Ability to immediately respond to emergencies and resolve issues with client and/or staff.
- Ability to take direction from Program Manager.
- Ability to drive agency or personal vehicles to transport items and/or persons.
- Ability to work standing, walking, sitting a minimum of 8 hours per day/shift.
- Ability to participate in recreational activities with youth served as required.
- Ability to defuse physical and verbal confrontations with youth served using appropriate techniques and/or interventions.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule when needed.
- Ability to lift and move objects typically weighing 5-35 pounds.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and projects.
Covenant House Michigan is an equal opportunity employer. CHM will not discriminate against any otherwise qualified employee or applicant for employment with respect to hire, tenure, terms, conditions or privileges of employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, height, weight, marital status, disabilities or other legally protected status.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $38,000.00 to $40,000.00 /year
- case management: 1 year (Required)
- working with at-risk youth: 2 years (Required)
- residential: 2 years (Required)
- Grand Rapids, MI (Preferred)
- Driver License (Required)