Durham Public Schools
Community Education Department
JOB TITLE: Group Leader for Community Education Before or Afterschool
REPORTS TO: Manager of Before/Afterschool
SALARY: $11.25 per hour
STATUS: Part-time, Temporary, Permanent, 10 or 11 months, Classified, Nonexempt
Under general supervision, performs a variety of child care, child development, and clerical
tasks for the Before and Afterschool (B/ASC) program at the assigned school. Work involves assisting the care of our students in planning and providing a daily program of developmentally-appropriate, academically-oriented, nurturing and enriching experiences for school-age children (K-8). Employee is also responsible for implementing activities as planned, supervising students during activities, engaging in activities with the children and acting as a role model for participants. This job is a 5 day a week position hours may vary according to schools start and release time; 1:45-6:00PM, 2:30-6:00PM, 3:15-6:00PM. We serve traditional calendar schools as well as year round.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
- Assists to ensuring that the program at the assigned school provides quality care that expands children’s experiences, extends their learning, and provides warm and caring support.
- Assists with planning, developing, and providing program activities, helps coordinate the daily set-up and close-down of program to ensure children have access to a variety of developmentally-appropriate program resources, interest centers, and activities.
- Develop and delivery project based learning activities
- Implements activities as planned, leads, assists, and acts as a role-model participant in both during activities including field trips.
- active and sedentary indoor and outdoor lessons, games and aquatic activities; supervises students
- Prevents accidents through supervision and planning.
- Assists in preparing and maintaining student, staff, business management, and programming administration.
- Reports, records, and other documents as required by or appropriate to the program’s
- Performs or assists with various administrative functions of the program such as: composing, daily attendance.
- Copying, and distributing monthly newsletters; planning and preparing activity schedules; taking
- Verifies snack/meal availability and completes or reviews snack/meal rosters.
- Uses positive reinforcement and developmentally-appropriate guidance techniques and resolve behavior issues.
- Consequences to encourage appropriate behavior, confers with administrators and parents to
- Handles minor discipline matters and refers more serious matters to the B/ASC and/or Summer Camp Manager.
- Adheres to district policies and North Carolina Division of Child Development regulations, and carries out procedures established by the district, Community Education, and the school.
- Communicates with parents about children's daily activities and participates in parent conferences as needed..
- Maintains current certifications in CPR and First Aid; administers basic first aid and medications, and contacts parents or emergency services in case of a child’s illness or injury (under some conditions).
- Assists in maintaining a clean and orderly environment for the program.
- Attends workshops, classes, seminars, lectures, etc. to meet district professionals appropriate, to enhance and maintain knowledge of trends and developments in afterschool care.
- Development requirements and reviews school-age care resources and professional journals
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisors.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND REQUIREMENTS; KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Must complete Child Abuse and Neglect training within 2 weeks of employment.
- Must complete the Basic School Age Care (BSAC) class within 60 days of employment.
- Minimum of a high school diploma, 18 years of age and some prior child care experience preferred; or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- General knowledge of the B/ASC program and its underlying principles, goals and objectives.
- General knowledge of the North Carolina Division of Child Development child care licensing regulations and quality indicators which apply to licensed school-age programs operated by a public school district.
- General knowledge of daily activities associated with the B/ASC program.
- General knowledge of activities performed by the Manager of the B/ASC program.
- General knowledge of procedures to follow in the event of an emergency.
- Ability to build rapport with and to provide warm and caring support to students.
- Ability to set-up and close-down program and to lead and engage in activities with children.
- Ability to constantly monitor the safety and well-being of students.
- Ability to maintain a clean and orderly environment.
- Ability to perform general clerical duties.
- Ability to maintain order and discipline in a group of assigned children.
- Ability to maintain basic files and records.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships as necessitated by work assignments.Must be able to lead and assist students participating in indoor and outdoor games and activities and to use a variety of equipment. Must be able to exert a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Due to amount of time spent standing and/or walking, physical requirements are consistent with those of Light Work.The following statements of the job description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this category. The description does not contain an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills and other requirements necessary of employees to perform in this position.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS : **
- Must be able to lead and assist students participating in indoor and outdoor games and activities and to use a variety of equipment. Must be able to exert a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Due to amount of time spent standing and/or walking, physical requirements are consistent with those of Light Work.
- The following statements of the job description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this category. The description does not contain an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills and other requirements necessary of employees to perform in this position.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $11.25 /hour
- child care: 1 year (Preferred)