Payroll and HR Assistant
(Administrative Assistant III)
California State University, Monterey Bay is distinctive in serving the diverse people of California, especially the working class and historically under-educated and low-income populations. The identity of the University is framed by substantive commitment to a multilingual, multicultural, intellectual community, which enables students, faculty, and staff to cross institutional boundaries for innovative instruction, broadly defined scholarly and creative activity, and coordinated community service.
The University Corporation (“Corporation”) at CSUMB is an equal opportunity employer and committed to building a pluralistic university by hiring personnel with competencies and experience related to the regional and State population. The Corporation is committed to a standard of excellence in the services it provides and in the quality of work expected of its employees. Every employee has an “at-will” relationship with the Corporation. This means that employment with the Corporation is at the mutual consent of the employer and the employee and is subject to termination by either party at will, with or without cause or advance notice.
Under direct supervision of the Corporation HR Director, the Payroll and HR Assistant is responsible for providing a variety of moderate to complex of administrative, organizational and technical duties in support of the day-to-day operations of the Corporation’s Payroll and Human Resources functions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Performs a range of moderate to complex clerical, record keeping, and administrative duties in support of the infrastructure and daily operations of Corporation’s human resources, and payroll functions.
2. Establishes and maintains systems, both physical and electronic, for materials, documents, files and records, including reports, logs, and correspondence.
3. Assists with ESF routing, ADP updates, ESF end-dates, separations and other HR/payroll entry and tracking procedures.
4. Reviews Auxiliary websites regularly to verify the accuracy and timeliness of the content and ensures that the appropriate changes are made. Maintains and updates HR & Payroll forms on CSUMB.edu/Corporation website.
5. Performs routine data consistency checks. Assist customers with self-service questions and other technical difficulties with timekeeping software.
6. Assists with background check registration and follow-up with employees and vendor regarding any discrepancies.
7. Assists in answering questions from applicants, employees, supervisors and volunteers as needed including interpretation of policies and procedures, assisting with completion of hiring packages, I9's and other onboarding documents.
8. Assists the Payroll Specialist when needed. Assists HR staff with data entry, job postings and other functions as needed.
9. Responsible for monthly University charge back on payroll expenses.
10. Assists with payroll and HR processes for new auxiliary- Otter Student Union (OSU).
11. Assists with the production of reports, statistical data, and other publications.
12. Maintains confidentiality and uses discretion in disseminating information.
13. Trains and assists student assistants as needed.
1. Establishes and maintains effective relationships with university and Auxiliary staff, faculty, students, as well as the general public.
2. Problem-solves various auxiliary-related administrative matters as they arise.
3. Takes on special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Fully functional knowledge of and skill in standard office procedures and practices. Ability to quickly acquire a thorough, detailed knowledge of applicable university infrastructure, policies, and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of English grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Ability to communicate clearly orally and in writing in a professional and effective manner with faculty, staff, students, and the public. Ability to draft and compose correspondence and standard reports.
- Ability to use personal computers and appropriate job-related software. Thorough knowledge of office systems and ability to use a broad range of technology, systems, and software packages. Ability to quickly learn and use new office support technology systems and software packages.
- Ability to independently handle multiple work unit priorities and projects and apply a wide variety of policies and procedures where specific guidelines may not exist.
- Ability to perform standard business math, such as calculate ratios and percentages, track financial data, and make simple projections.
- Ability to effectively handle a broader range of interpersonal contacts, including those at a higher level and those sensitive in nature.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within a diverse, multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a cross-functional environment.
Must have equivalent to three years of progressively responsible administrative support experience, which has involved supporting, monitoring, and coordinating clerical work through a system of internal procedures and controls to ensure the efficient operation of an organization. Prospective applicants who have not had the experience listed may substitute other evidence of meeting the above qualifications for up to two years of the required experience.
SPECIALIZED SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Demonstrated experience that clearly provides evidence of the knowledge and skills required to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements identified above are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required.
- Possess excellent writing ability and ability to prepare correspondence on complex issues.
- Ability to make sound decisions and recommendations based on thorough analysis of situations.
- Must have a professional manner and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to quickly learn and use new office support technology systems and software packages.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
“A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the University Corporation. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current University Corporation employees who apply for the position.
- Experience working for a senior level administrator, ability to use discretion and judgment related to issues involving personnel and payroll.
- Payroll experience and use of payroll systems (i.e ADP, Kronos,etc..). HR experience desirable.
- College degree and higher education experience desirable.
- Strong commitment to customer service, with a proactive and positive attitude toward assisting others.
Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to the CSUMB Vision Statement and the core values of mutual respect, collaboration and service orientation, multiculturalism and diversity, community service and institutional excellence. Experience working with a diverse and multicultural population and performing community services.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The hourly rate for this position is $21.00 per hour. This is a non-exempt position and as such is eligible for the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act. Benefits include medical, dental, vision and life insurance benefits, contributory retirement plan, TSA (403b), 13 paid holidays per year and other benefits. Corporation positions are at-will employment.
PHYSICAL WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office setting; to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull light to moderate amounts of weight; to operate office equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination including use of a computer keyboard; to verbally communicate to exchange information; and to occasionally travel to other offices or locations to attend meetings or to pick up or deliver materials.
Please complete the required on-line Corporation application at https://csumb.peopleadmin.com. A completed on-line Corporation application must be received in the Human Resources Office by the priority screening date to be guaranteed a review. Applications received after the initial screen date will be reviewed at the discretion of the Corporation.