Veterinary Assistants at Vale Park Animal Hospital have the chance to make a difference in the lives of pets and the clients they serve through skilled veterinary knowledge and effective communications. A love of pets will be highly utilized in this position and a desire to learn will be rewarded with many opportunities for growth and advancement. Veterinary Assistants are the veterinarian's right hand. In many cases, the vet assistant is often the first person to examine an animal when it comes into the veterinary clinic. Computer and telephone skills are a must, as well as good client communication skills. They must be able to perform moderate physical labor including but not limited to lifting and restraining dogs up to 40 pounds. This position will also expose them to animal bodily fluids including but not limited to blood, urine and feces.
Responsibilities and Duties The duties of a Veterinary Assistant include:
- Assisting veterinarians to provide compassionate nursing care
- Triaging patients and relaying accurate information to the doctor
- Educating clients on all aspects of pet health
- Maintaining complete and accurate medical records by obtaining relevant information and history from clients
- Filling prescriptions as directed by a veterinarian, and explaining prescription directions and potential side effects to clients
- Preparing various laboratory tests
Previous Veterinary Assistant experience preferred, but not required.