The University of Miami is considered among the top tier institutions of higher education in the U.S. for its academic excellence, superior medical care, and cutting-edge research. At the U, we are committed to attracting a talented work force to support our common purposed of transforming lives through teaching, innovation, research, and service. Through our values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) we strive to create an environment where everyone contributes in making UM a great place to work. We are one of the largest private employers in Miami-Dade County; home to more than 13,400 faculty and staff from all over the world.
The Division of Development and Alumni Relations supports and promotes the mission, purpose, and priorities of the University of Miami through fundraising and engagement by building and nurturing strategic philanthropic relationships to improve and transform the lives of individuals and communities. We are committed to values central to the Division- Service, Gratitude, Trust, and Partnership - which guide our strategic thinking, decision-making, and day-to-day interaction with each other and our stakeholders.
The Executive Director, Donor Experience serves as a senior member of the Division of Development and Alumni Relations leadership and campaign team and is responsible for providing executive-level management and oversight of a robust and creative donor experience program at the University of Miami, including the University of Miami Health System. They are charged with envisioning, designing, and implementing the framework, structure, and strategies of a comprehensive donor recognition, stewardship, retention, and engagement program that responds to the needs of donors, prospects, fundraisers, volunteers, and University leadership.
The Executive Director, Donor Experience is specifically responsible for recommending and implementing impact-driven strategies that:
- Recognize, celebrate, express gratitude and demonstrate impact to donors at all levels.
- Retain donors, from their first gift until the end of their philanthropic journey.
- Pre-qualify donors for future giving.
- Harness stewardship opportunities along the donor continuum to accelerate movement and increase each subsequent gift towards maximum donor capacity.
The Executive Director, Donor Experience works collaboratively and in concert with colleagues across the institution. They align multiple internal resources across divisions and with university leadership and administration producing donor experiences that are seamless relationship across the institution. They develop best-in class donor experience vehicles that elevates all philanthropy and engagement programs and enables the University to reach as many donors as possible with impactful and strategic communication, events, engagement, recognition, and reporting.
The individual is also responsible for building a continuously learning and innovative culture around the donor experience through both internal and outward facing activities.
Major Gift Duties:
- Oversees broad-based donor experience programs including new campaign-specific programs for principal giving donors and broad-based donor recognition programs.
- Develop strategies to showcase gift impact and ensure donors receive updates, reports and high-level stewardship pieces and all relevant endowed and current-use fund reporting.
- Analyze and expand opportunities for the stewardship of donors in order to reach donors as they would most like to be reached.
- Manage the long-term strategy for individualized stewardship plans for principal gift level prospects and donors, including recognition activities, stewardship reporting and donor engagement materials that reflect the unique needs of various donor constituencies.
- Lead development of a strategic vision and plan for donor experience activities and communications that engage and steward grateful patients.
- Utilize technology to capture more in-depth donor engagement data that allows for deeper segmentation, solicitation and stewardship of key donor groups.
- Lead the creation of custom fund reports for select donors, including collaborating with major gift officers, conducting interviews with physicians and hospital staff, drafting report content, facilitating photo shoots and producing reports for key donors.
- Collaborate and work with the University’s highest level of donor leadership to ensure effective communications, presentations and strategies. Coordinate the stewardship and donor engagement activities of the President, Provost, and members of the Board of Trustees and be present during prospect and donor strategy meetings to present stewardship strategy at the principal gift level.
- Develop, oversee, disseminate and train on related division policies and procedures.
- Create donor recognition programs and activities that are impact focused and ensure donor satisfaction and retention.
- Provide management, budget oversight, efficiency, and accountability of the donor experience program, including the hiring, evaluation, supervising and coaching of donor experience staff, including those based at the University of Miami Health System and Miller School of Medicine.
- Expand and elevate the program by developing and implementing a plan to increase the number of donors touched, expand the methods of communication, improve the quality of each piece, employ best industry practices, expand communication with donors through appropriate training and use of development officers and their support staff.
- Coordinate a cross-institution committee charged with developing a plan for donor experience.
- Support an impact-driven acknowledgement system is in place according to policies and specific requirements.
- Conduct or contracts for donor research through surveys, interviews, focus groups and data analysis and create feedback loops to continuously improve programs and results.
- Ensure donors are recognized for their giving and provided with impactful reporting.
- In coordination with colleagues, produce donor experience analytics report.
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum seven years of successful and progressively responsible donor experience/relations, fundraising or a related field.
- Experience in a University and/or Academic Medical Center.
- Highly motivated and capable of seeing projects through from beginning to end.
- Detail and results oriented with excellent follow-through.
- Demonstrated track record in generating bottom-line results of increased philanthropic giving.
- Experience leading a team in a complex work environment in an institution of higher education, healthcare or nonprofit sector, bringing together multiple stakeholder groups and overseeing large, organization-wide projects.
- A desire to break new ground with respect to securing philanthropic investment and meaningful donor engagement.
- Superb written and oral communication skills.
- Technical literacy and ability to manipulate complex data.
- Ability to work effectively under multiple deadlines.
- Exhibit mature leadership qualities, particularly important due to the high level of confidential information shared that directly relates to donor experience work.
- Advanced professional degree and 10 years related experience as described above.
- Experience in change management and reorganizing to capitalize on trends in donor relationships, audience development and market conditions.
- Either experience in an advancement services/IT role or experience collaborating closely with advancement services/IT to maximize database capability and efficiency surrounding donor interactions and touchpoints.
- Ability to foster a tradition of philanthropy within and outside of the institution.
*Qualified candidates will be eligible for relocation assistance.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $11.00 to $20.00 /hour
- Fundraising: 7 years (Required)