Counsel, Contracts and Procurement - Preferred Candidates will have:
7+ years of experience in reviewing, negotiating, and revising contracts on behalf of a multi-faceted organization;
Background in risk management and state procurement laws governing public agencies and political subdivisions within the State of Texas
- Chosen candidate will be responsible for negotiating, writing, reviewing, summarizing, researching and executing a wide variety of vendor and procurement agreements including master services agreements, purchase agreements, license agreements, confidentiality agreements, interlocal agreements, and other general business contracts
- Requires excellent drafting and editing skills – the chosen candidate must be detail-oriented, tech savvy, possess strong project and people management skills, and be comfortable working with individuals from all levels of a multi-faceted organization.
At an intermediate level, provides legal advice, representation and related services for LCRA Board of Directors and management in one or more areas of practice requiring in-house expertise. This position utilizes knowledge of the law and experience practicing as an attorney. Utilizes discretion and independent judgment to determine an appropriate approach within general parameters and a moderate level of guidance from manager and/or more experienced colleagues.
This general overview only includes essential functions of the job and does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instruction and to perform any other job-related duties requested by supervisor or management.
- Prepares and reviews legal documents and other correspondence, including pleadings, agreements, testimony, affidavits, briefs and contracts.
- Represents the LCRA in various transactions and/or proceedings before regulatory agencies, commissioners, board, hearing officers and public agencies.
- Provides legal advice and review as needed, including providing advice to other departments pertaining to the negotiation of contracts and/or legal transactions.
- Reviews and prepares proposed legislation.
- Keeps informed of and analyzes existing and/or proposed rules, regulations and programs pertaining to state and federal regulatory agencies pertinent to the LCRA and/or the utility industry.
- Researches, studies and interprets ordinances, laws, rulings and regulations to ensure compliance. Negotiates with opposing counsel, regulatory agencies and other parties as required.
- Examines legal data to determine advisability of defending or prosecuting lawsuits. Represents the LCRA in litigation and other legal proceedings.
- Keeps management informed of legal matters affecting the LCRA; anticipates and minimizes legal problems whenever possible.
- Assists in preparing witnesses for testimony, including reviewing potential issues surrounding the case.
- Assists in providing guidance and assistance to less experienced staff.
- Directs and coordinates work of outside counsel as required.
- Participates in cross-training activities, cross-departmental sharing of knowledge and, when appropriate, cross-departmental developmental assignments. Shares knowledge with others, developing a pipeline of possible successors. Learns from others in different roles and different departments to expand knowledge.
Juris Doctor plus three or more years experience practicing law as a licensed attorney in the relevant practice area.
Licensed to practice law in the State of Texas