PSE’s IT Infrastructure group is looking for a Communications Technician to join our Telecommunications/Information Technology team. This position will be primarily responsible for installation and maintenance of Radio and Microwave equipment. You will be expected to have a working knowledge of multiple telecommunication industry technologies, which includes: • Radio and telecommunications equipment installation, repair and maintenance • Radio dispatch console equipment installation, configurations, repair and maintenance • Installation, repair and maintenance of two-way radio and radio systems, including: Tait, Zetron equipment • Installation, repair and maintenance of point-to-point radio and microwave radios, including: Aviat, and MimoMax equipment • Radio tower and remote site equipment installation, repair and maintenance • Installation, configuration, repair and maintenance of LAN/WAN installations, including : Nokia and Cisco equipment • Maintenance of carrier-grade Ethernet network • Maintenance of analog and digital two-wire and four-wire voice grade services • Fiber optics splicing, maintenance and repair • DSI and DS3 testing and maintenance • Installation and repair of transmission services such as intelligent DACS equipment, digital products consisting of CSU/DSU devices, and multiplexers • Communications test equipment • Working directly with telco providers and vendors to resolve network issues The qualified individual will work at urban and remote sites, on and around towers and buildings. This position will be performed both indoors and outdoors in a variety of weather conditions and requires a range of physical activities including climbing, bending, lifting, etc. Position may involve occasional overnight travel. Position requires the ability to perform 24x7 support for a variety of technologies. You will be expected to operate communications test equipment, including service monitors and spectrum analyzers. Must be able to locate and isolate RF interference and be able to perform installation of radio equipment in in office buildings and in variety of vehicles such as trucks, boats and in snow cats. Premise-wiring methodologies such as IDF, MDF and DSX for cross-connects, and Fiber Optics splicing and terminations may be required. The position requires familiarity with VIOP technology. The Communications Technician will work with staff to maintain various operational networks and their associated Management Platforms. The position requires direct customer contact, so professional behavior and customer service skills are necessary. Families and businesses depend on PSE to provide the energy they need to pursue their dreams. Our steadfast commitment to serving Washington communities with safe, dependable and efficient energy started in 1873. Today we’re building the Northwest’s energy future through efforts like our award winning energy efficiency programs and our leadership in renewable energy. At PSE we value and respect our employees and provide them opportunities to excel. We offer an expansive pay package that includes competitive compensation, annual goals-based incentive bonuses, comprehensive cafeteria-style benefits, 401(K), a company paid retirement pension plan, and an employee assistance and wellness program.
• Configuring, installing, maintaining, testing and troubleshooting base stations, repeaters and a variety of RF equipment as described above • Low voltage wiring construction, and termination, including installation of racks, cabinets, and other wiring components and systems • Work with telecommunications companies and internal communications technicians to install and configure OC3, DS3, DS1, and DS0 services • Post-implementation support of the PSE telecommunications components above. Support includes: tier-one problem determination and resolution, and tier-two problem determination and resolution in cooperation with Voice and Network engineers • Must be able to meet safety requirements for the job description to work within high voltage facilities.
- Must have two years relevant experience installing and maintaining communications and electronic equipment as used by the utility industry including:
o Hands on experience in the RF field and extensive knowledge and understanding of communications systems and two-way radio theory
o Experience with two-way land mobile radio repair and operation
o Experience with digital microwave repair, configuration and operation
o Experience in the maintenance, configuration and repair of dispatch console sub-systems
- Must demonstrate competence in analyzing and repairing such equipment including, but not limited to: microwave, fiber optics, radio, telephone, SCADA and miscellaneous communications and electronic devices
- Possess the ability to program, troubleshoot and perform system diagnostics on complex multi-site IP radio systems
- Must possess an FCC General Class Radio Operator license
- Must be able to calculate electrical quantities, able to read and sketch electrical and electronic circuit diagrams and be able to use shop tools and instruments used in communications and electronic work in a safe manner.
- Applicant must demonstrate ability to communicate well with others
- Must possess or obtain within thirty (30) working days after selection a valid First Aid/CPR card.
- May require the employee to obtain and maintain a current Commercial Driver’s License (CDL B) with air and other necessary endorsements. Training will be provided to obtain this license.
- Applicant must have a valid Driver’s License - The position requires frequent travel within the PSE territory; with minimal overnight stays
- Must be a self-starter with a proven ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Know how to use industry standard test equipment including service monitors/analyzers, Watt meters, and hand tools
- Bachelor’s degree or Technical College degree in Industrial Technology, Information Technology or other RF related field
- A thorough knowledge of Analog, Digital, RF and Optical test equipment
- Five years of leadership experience with two-way land mobile radio repair and operation
- Five years of leadership experience with digital microwave repair, configuration and operation
- Working knowledge of Tait, Zetron, Nokia and Cisco equipment
- Cisco call manager and VOIP deployment experience
- SCADA installation experience
- Knowledge of TCP/ IP network protocol
- Have a good working knowledge of safety regulations within the utility industry
- This is an IBEW represented position and the successful candidate will become a member of the IBEW.
- This is a safety sensitive position and is subject to random DOT drug and/or alcohol testing.
- Starting wage for this position is $47.19 per hour.