Akoya Biosciences, Inc.
Located in Palo Alto, CA and Hopkinton, MA, we are a well-funded and growing company with industry leading technologies for tissue analysis. The company is undergoing rapid growth including expansion of our contract research services providing slide analysis services based on our Phenoptics multiplexed IHC platform.
Akoya Biosciences is seeking an experienced and motivated Research Associate II to join our Contract Research Services (CRS) and Tissue Imaging team in Hopkinton, MA. The successful candidate will be a member of a dynamic team that provides laboratory services to clients. Akoya Biosciences provides tissue analysis based on our ultra-high multiplexing approach utilizing Akoya’s OPAL™ technology to provide unparalleled cellular/tissue imaging capabilities. The Contract Research Services team focuses on assay development, optimization and standardization, on sectioning, staining and imaging of slides, and image analysis.
The successful candidate will be experienced in sectioning of FFPE tissue blocks and conventional immunohistochemistry (IHC). Knowledge of antibody validation methods, immunofluorescence (IF) and quantitative pathology approaches are a plus but not required.
- Sectioning of paraffin-embedded, formalin-fixed tissues.
- Immunohistochemistry (IHC) and immunofluorescence (IF) staining of tissue sections.
- Identification of available antibodies for new targets, research and preparation of background presentations on target biology and expected staining patterns.
- Testing, optimization, and validation of antibodies for FFPE tissue staining. Manual and automated staining methods will be applied.
- Imaging of IF slides.
- General laboratory maintenance including maintenance of laboratory equipment, managing inventory and reagent preparation and documentation thereof in accordance with CLIA/CAP regulations.
- Ensures that all equipment, instruments and accessories are operational daily. Reports any irregularities.
- Maintains patient confidentiality according to HIPAA rules and regulations.
- Sample accessioning and tracking, inventory of biospecimens and slides and documentation in appropriate software systems.
- Performs acceptance testing of reagents and materials, both incoming and outgoing.
- Work with senior members of the team to design and carry out experiments, as well as, interpret and present the data. Presentation of findings to the team.
- Preparation of data for client reports.
- Performs required quality control procedures for compliance with all local, state and federal law; responsible for all proper documentation according to Akoya’s QM system.
- Follows all safety precautions when using chemicals and reagents demonstrating knowledge of OSHA standards and in concordance with BSL2 laboratory safety standards.
Skills and Qualifications:
- BS/BA degree in a Life Science with 2-3 years of experience in a laboratory/pathology environment.
- Experience with IHC is REQUIRED
- Experience with tissue sectioning; ASCP certified HT/HTL is preferred.
- Experience with image analysis software is preferred.
- Experience with quality control/quality assurance procedures, compliance with regulatory requirements
- Must be detail-oriented and organized.
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; experience with tracking systemsand pathology imaging software is a plus; experience with electronic notebook systems; familiarity with specialized and hardware-based systems in the laboratory such as barcode readers and zebra printers. Knowledge to install and integrate them into the laboratory workflow.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and manage workflows.
- Ability to troubleshoot and work independently under pressure of deadlines and the desire to work in a fast paced, team environment.
- Passion for pathology and personalized medicine.
Job Type: Full-time
- immunofluorescence (IF): 1 year (Preferred)
- Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint: 3 years (Preferred)
- quality control/quality assurance procedures: 2 years (Preferred)
- antibody validation methods: 1 year (Preferred)
- immunohistochemistry (IHC): 1 year (Preferred)
- Paid time off
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Retirement benefits or accounts