The Associate Manager for Research Safety will provide leadership and support to EH&S's Research Safety Program by promoting and supporting a comprehensive laboratory safety program throughout the University's expansive research enterprise and affiliate institutions. He/she will support and advance a positive, proactive laboratory safety program in a complex environment, working as a leader and member of the Research Safety Team and collaborating with EH&S colleagues and program leaders. The Associate Manager reports to the Manager for Research Safety and will assist the Manager with establishing and implementing Program priorities in accordance with the Research Safety strategic plan. This position will collaborate with other EH&S Program Managers and Senior Specialists/Officers to promote best management practices on all Campuses.
The Associate Manager will be responsible for providing professional leadership, administrative oversight and for managing laboratory safety operations, services and programs on all campuses. He/she will develop, maintain and promote policies, procedures and programs for laboratory safety, and ensure the campuses are compliant with pertinent local, state and federal laboratory health and safety codes, standards and regulations. The Associate Manager will be responsible for the effective implementation and ongoing quality improvement of technology-based systems for the Research Safety team, including but not limited to chemical tracking, database and training. This position has supervisory responsibility for several Research Safety Team positions.
- Participate in the development, implementation and monitoring of the Research Safety Program's Strategic Plan.
- Design program-specific initiatives and goals and help lead the Research Safety team in the effective implementation of safety initiatives included in the Strategic Plan, as well as unplanned, emerging research safety issues.
- Manage Research Safety Team members, including the completion of periodic performance evaluations, goal setting, and professional development and coaching.
- Ensure the on-boarding of new Research Safety Team staff members is completed through oversight of on-the-job training and through coordination with other members of the Research Safety Team. Manage the strategic deployment of the ChemTracker system and other inventory management systems to ensure continuous program improvement and timely reporting.
- Provide leadership, oversight and technical guidance in support of the laboratory safety survey programs. Ensure effective and timely delivery of related services and completion of laboratory interactions and follow-up activities by the Research Safety Team, through effective delegation and coaching.
- Provide leadership, oversight and technical guidance in support of the laboratory safety training curriculum, including ensuring effective and timely delivery of training by the Research Safety Team. Evaluate and promote the use of e-Learning software and related technology to maximize the effectiveness of Research Safety Training programs.
- Serve as liaison with regulatory agencies and oversee reporting assignments, as needed.
- Provide timely updates and status reports to the Research Safety and Departmental Leadership Teams on an as-needed basis, and ensure timely delivery of stated program goals related to the above.
- Coordinate and manage special projects, including services to University affiliates, and assemble and lead teams in support of project goals.
- Oversee and coordinate the development, revision and implementation of policies, procedures, guidance documents and other media related to Research Safety Programs.
Minimum Qualifications for Grade
Applicant MUST meet these minimum qualifications to be considered an applicant
- Coordinate with the Biological Safety, Hazardous Materials, Research Safety, Occupational Safety and Radiation Safety managers and EH&S leadership to identify new program needs and take initiative in leading and/or organizing work groups in support of these initiatives.
- Prepare relevant information gathered by the Research Safety Team for delivery to safety reporting and action committees by EH&S leadership. Represent the Research Safety Program and EH&S Department on University level committees.
- Participate in hazardous materials emergency responses, including acting as the incident commander.
- Coordinate with external stakeholders, including Capital Projects Management and Facilities Operations, on infrastructure and design issues that affect research safety matters at the University.
- Maintain a strong professional network via attendance and presentation at regional and/or national conferences relevant to Research Safety team goals.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree required (scientific discipline such as Chemistry, Biology, or Environmental Sciences preferred). A minimum of four years of experience in environmental health and safety, preferably in an academic or research environment, with at least two years of supervisory experience or project leadership experience. Note, an appropriate combination of an advanced degree and experience, meeting Columbia University criteria, may be considered in lieu of these requirements.
Additional Position-Specific Minimum Qualifications
Applicant MUST meet these minimum qualifications to be considered an applicant
Ability to motivate and inspire staff, pair projects to staff strengths and interests, and contribute to Departmental strategy. Ability to work both independently and collaboratively, as a member of a team; ability to facilitate effective operational integration, collaboration and teamwork within EH&S and Columbia University; ability to prioritize and effectively manage multiple tasks simultaneously and exercise good judgment in managing time, including maintaining a flexible presence at multiple campus locations; ability to establish and maintain professional, collaborative, service-oriented, cooperative and effective working relationships with students, faculty, staff, unions, customers, the public, regulatory agencies and co-workers through practical and positive communication; ability to operate industrial hygiene/environmental equipment and information technologies, including advanced database, spreadsheet, presentation design software and word processing editing features; ability to understand, interpret and convey measurements, data, standards and hazardous materials information; strong written communication skills, including the ability to write clearly and actively on complex topics and to convey risks effectively; ability to simplify guidance for students and staff, and to prepare thoroughly documented technical reports, excellent oral communication and presentation skills, including the ability to prepare professional-quality presentations, speak clearly and engagingly about complex issues before small and large groups of diverse audiences; ability to stand, walk, and negotiate occasional awkward work locations and paths of travel; ability to work in a variety of physical environments, including weather /temperature extremes, potential confined spaces, elevated locations, etc.; ability to periodically perform short duration physical exertions, including light-medium weight lifting, pushing/pulling, stair or ladder climbing, etc. in support of a safety investigation, area or operations surveys, decommissioning or emergency response; ability to wear a respirator and other personal protective equipment.
Advanced degree in environmental health and safety, the life sciences, engineering, or a related field. Professional certification, such as Associate Safety Professional, Certified Safety Professional, Certified Hazardous Materials Manager, a plus. Knowledge of the structure of laboratory safety programs in an academic or research setting. Familiarity with environmental health and safety management software. Experience leading a hazardous materials incident response. Experience with developing and delivering effective safety training for groups of personnel. OSHA 24 or 40 hour HAZWOPER certification preferred; RCRA and DOT certifications a plus.
Additional Essential Functions (Limit to 3950 characters.)
This position works with:
HIPAA Compliance training required
Participation in Medical Surveillance required
What type of posting? Is this a waiver request?
Requisition Open Date
Requisition Close Date
Open Until Filled