The FBI is seeking experienced Information Technology Specialists — Forensic Examiners to plan, coordinate and direct forensic science activities including expert examinations, reporting of results, training and research that involve all aspects of digital evidence.
As an FBI Forensic Examiner, you will inventory, examine, retrieve and perform comprehensive technical analyses of digital evidence without altering the original and prepare evidence from crime scenes for examination.
Job duties also include developing and working with evidence collection and examination agencies and serving as a technical consultant by providing up-to-date training in computer examinations, detailing the latest technology, supporting information and reviews of new products to FBI Special Agents and other federal, state and local law enforcement agencies.
You may be required to testify in court about the procedures and methods used to obtain data, and to prepare and furnish authoritative oral and written reports on opinions and findings to stakeholders within the law enforcement community.
Salary is commensurate to experience and location.
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Must have (or be able to obtain) a valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to attend and pass the Police Officer Selection System (POSS) written test and panel interview. Applicant will be responsible for all travel expenses associated with travel to and from the testing location.
- Must be able to obtain a Top Secret clearance.
- Must pass an FBI polygraph examination.
- Must pass an FBI-administered urinalysis drug test.
- Must be in compliance with the FBI Employment Drug Policy:
- No use of marijuana within the last three years.
- No use of any other illegal drug in the past 10 years.
- No selling, distributing, manufacturing or transporting of any illegal drugs.
- No use of a prescription drug or a legally obtainable substance in a manner for which it was not intended within the last three years.
- Must never have been convicted of a felony.
- Must never have knowingly or willfully engaged in acts or activities designed to overthrow the U.S. government by force.
- Must never have failed to file federal, state or local income tax returns.
- Must not be in default on a student loan insured by the U.S. government.
- Must not be in default on court-ordered child support payments.
- Must be registered with the Selective Service System (males only, exceptions apply).
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENTIAL REQUIREMENTS
- At least 24 college level semester hours from an accredited college or university in one or more of the following disciplines:
- Computer Science
- Information Science
- Information Systems Management
- Operations Research
- Technology Management
- Information Systems Analysis
- Computer/Digital/Electronic Forensics
- Science/Technology (other than physical sciences)
- Management Information Systems
- Information Technology Systems
- Data Structure and Design
AND one of the following:
- A Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university in one or more of the field identified above;
- Six years of full-time experience working as either a Technician or Forensic Examiner (consistent with FBI digital evidence program definitions) within a digital evidence facility that supports criminal investigations and has an external accreditation or internal quality assurance framework.
All degrees must be from an accredited college or university and must be verified by submitting college transcripts.
In your resume, please describe your experience with:
- Multiple operating systems (Linux, Windows and Mac).
- Command line interfaces in Linux, Windows and Mac.
- Computer hardware repairs.
- Mobile device hardware repairs.
- Establishing relationships and interacting effectively with government officials, external agencies and other external contacts.
- System administration for computer systems.
Please also address the following Competencies in your resume:
- Technology Awareness
- Problem Solving/Judgment
- Information Management
- Forensics — Digital/Computer Skills
- Customer Service
HOW TO APPLY
STEP 1: Click on the “Apply” button to be directed to the FBIJobs Talent Network.
Please note: Applicants must use the Mozilla Firefox web browser when applying to FBIJobs.gov job openings and Talent Networks.
STEP 2: Click the “Start” button to begin. You will be prompted to either Sign In to continue or to register with FBIJobs if you don’t already have an account.
STEP 3: Follow the step-by-step process to submit your interest. You will be guided through each step. You must complete all sections of the form AND ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS MUST BE ATTACHED to successfully submit your interest.
1. Your resume, specifically noting relevant work experience and associated start and end dates.
2. Other supporting documents:
- College transcripts, if qualifying based on education, or if there is a positive education requirement.
- Veterans: DD 214; Disabled Veterans: DD 214, SF-15 and VA letter dated 1991 or later.
Please see instructions on the site for attaching documents.
Job Type: Full-time