Bring us your experience, your head for strategy, your strength with relationships and your eye for opportunity. In return we offer an unmatched place to grow and develop your career among a richly diverse group of businesses driven by the power and stability of a leading health care organization. Come help us heal and strengthen the health care system as you do your life's best work.(sm)
Typical responsibilities will include:
- Managing and developing a staff of legal professionals
- Overseeing the delivery of legal services and related support to (name of segment)
- Collaborating with colleagues across the UnitedHealth Group legal department
- Proactively identifying and resolving legal and related matters impacting (name of segment)
- Assisting in the review, preparation and negotiation of various products, documents and contracts associated with (name of segment) business
- Participating in and leading negotiations with key customers and vendors
- Developing best practices for addressing emerging legal and business risks
- Supporting (name of segment) in the development and delivery of new products
- Working in partnership with the Compliance team
- Counseling senior management on strategic business initiatives
- Managing outside counsel
- Fostering key regulatory relationships
The successful candidate will possess strong verbal and written communication skills, sound judgment and business instincts. The ability to lead people and change is also critical. The ability to delegate work and operate in a matrixed environment will be important qualities for the successful candidate. Prior law firm and in-house experience are desired, as is prior experience managing a team of legal professionals.
Positions in this function provide legal advice and services on issues concerning the rights, obligations, and privileges of the organization. Protect the organization's rights in contract negotiations, settlements and litigation. Provides a full range of legal advice and services and may specialize in one of more areas such as mergers and acquisitions, commercial law, contracts law, benefit law, securities, anti-trust investigations, tax law, regulatory and compliance. Requires a J.D.
- Provides leadership to and is accountable for the performance and direction through multiple layers of management and senior level professional staff.
- Work most often impacts a large business unit, or multiple markets/sites.
- Juris Doctorate degree
- License to practice law in one or more states
- 8+ years of healthcare professional legal experience in an attorney capacity
- Expertise, judgement and presence to advise senior leadership on legal matters
- Demonstrated ability to draft and negotiate complex contracts.
- Understanding of health insurance and managed care industry
- Knowledge of relevant laws and regulations
- Proven success in collaborating across a matrixed business and legal environment
- Ability to drive results. Strong work ethic.
- Well developed written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to evaluate and determine appropriate legal course of action to meet business needs
- Ability to build and maintain rapport with superiors, peers, subordinates and external company contacts
- Experience managing pre-litigation matters
- Experience with healthcare regulatory agencies
- Understanding of healthcare benefit coverage
- Prior experience managing a legal team
Careers with UnitedHealthcare. Let's talk about opportunity. Start with a Fortune 6 organization that's serving more than 85 million people already and building the industry's singular reputation for bold ideas and impeccable execution. Now, add your energy, your passion for excellence, your near-obsession with driving change for the better. Get the picture? UnitedHealthcare is serving employers and individuals, states and communities, military families and veterans where ever they're found across the globe. We bring them the resources of an industry leader and a commitment to improve their lives that's second to none. This is no small opportunity. It's where you can do your life's best work.SM
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere:
UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.