Imagine being part of one of the most respected human services organizations in the world—a place where your work positively influences the lives of others, a place where you thrive in a values-based environment, a place where you are building a better future for yourself and your community.
Under the supervision of the Facility Coordinator, or designated supervisor, and in harmony with the mission and purpose of the established policies and goals of the YMCA, the Facility Services Custodian is responsible for cleanliness and sanitation of interior and exterior facility areas of the branch.
1. Minimum of 18 years of age.
2. Must be able to interact positively with people of all ages and abilities.
3. Must be able to function unsupervised while providing high level of detail work with strict compliance to maintenance procedures.
4. Background in commercial level cleaning preferred.
5. Certification of CPR/First Aid/AED/O2 required within the 60 days.
6. Satisfactory completion of a criminal background check and Child Protective Services check.
7. Complete and maintain required trainings to include but not limited to: New Employee Orientation (NEO), Bloodborne Pathogens, Child Abuse Prevention (CAP), and Sexual Harassment upon hire and annually thereafter.
1. Supports the mission, vision and goals of the YMCA.
2. Promote a professional work environment through character development by modeling the values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
3. Lead in a manner that advances our cause to strengthen the foundations of our community through programs that focus on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
4. Participate in promoting YMCA membership through assisting in the recruiting and retaining of members.
5. Perform detailed cleaning of assigned areas of the facility to include: dusting, vacuuming, dry and wet mopping, removal of trash to outside receptacles, and performs general housekeeping duties following a routine cleaning checklist using chemicals and tools provided.
6. Assist in routine maintenance and small repairs as directed.
7. Maintain records and forms associated with performance of duties as required.
8. Participate in daily cleaning and project cleaning as required (tile, rug and wood floor maintenance/cleaning).
9. Follows mandated abuse reporting requirements.
10. Promote and participate in YMCA fundraising efforts to include Annual Support and United Way Campaigns.
11. Follow department Platinum standards.
12. Attend staff meetings and trainings as scheduled.
13. Wear staff uniform and name tag, or professional attire when appropriate.
14. Act as a leader in emergency situations. Report any accidents or incidents according to Emergency Communication Action Plan.
15. Ensure all members, guests, and program participants are in a safe environment and actively follow branch Emergency Operations Plan (EOP).
16. Carry out other related duties as deemed necessary by the Facility department and branch operations to ensure an excellent member experience.
YMCA Competencies (Leader):
Skills and Abilities Requirements:
- Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
- Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
- Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
- Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
1. Sufficient physical strength and agility to carry out principal activities.
2. Ability to erect and stand on ladders and platforms at heights up to 30 feet.
3. Ability to work with paint, cleaning equipment, chemical compounds, solvents, cleaners, and solutions in dry, liquid, powder, spray, and aerosol forms.
4. Ability to paint, clean equipment, and operate motorized equipment as needed.
5. Ability to work in conditions that will create dirt and dust.
6. Ability to routinely lift up to 25 pounds and must occasionally lift or move up to 40 pounds.
7. Ability to perform essential maintenance to facility or equipment which may involve, but not limited to the following activities: semi – reaching to full-reach overhead; crouching; kneeling; shoveling; carrying, working in narrow and/or confining spaces: underground, overhead, and at ground level; twisting of the waist, shoulders, and legs; and lying on stomach and/or back.
Effect on End Results:
1. The membership growth and retention plan for the branch is achieved.
2. A high degree of member satisfaction is achieved as measured by Net Promoters.
3. A positive image of the YMCA is portrayed to members, staff, volunteers and the community.
4. A pleasant and comfortable working environment is maintained for all staff.
5. Relationships are strengthened through intentional interactions.
6. The facility will be safe, clean and an enjoyable place as measured by Q Checks and Risk Management Audits.
7. Superior quality standards are met as evidenced by department Platinum Score Results.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. It is understood that the employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties if requested by the supervisor. Job descriptions are reviewed periodically and may be revised if deemed necessary. This job description is not a written or implied contract.
Excellent benefits, including 12% retirement upon meeting the requirements of the National YMCA Retirement Fund. Includes YMCA Adult Membership.