Do you like helping customers implement innovative cloud computing solutions and solve technical problems? Would you like to do this using the latest cloud computing technologies? Do you have a knack for helping groups understand application architectures and integration approaches, and the consultative and leadership skills to launch a project on a trajectory to success?
Are you familiar with Amazon Web Service (AWS) security best practices for applications, servers, and networks? Do you want to be part of a team helping to establish Amazon Web Services (AWS) as the preferred technology platform? Would you like to have your opinion valued as a technical resource during planning and strategie development?
SMS is looking for an AWS Security Architect to help create an AWS-based platform for our Department of Defense (DOD) Army customer.
As an AWS Security Architect for SMS, you will have the opportunity to help shape and deliver a strategy use of Amazon's Web Services (e.g., AWS EC2, AWS S3, AWS RDS, AWS Lambda, AWS TIC, AWS Managed Firewall, AWS CloudWatch, AWS CloudTrail, AWS KMS, AWS Security Groups, AWS IAM).
Your broad responsibilities will include: defining implementation architectures, developing a deep expertise in the AWS technologies as well as broad know-how around how applications and services are constructed using the AWS platform; and being a subject matter expert on security as it relates to customer applications and services. Write whitepapers. Produce diagrams.
As an AWS Security Architect on the SMS team, you will provide exceptional technical design and thought leadership to the DoD and Army markets for cloud computing. The AWS Cloud Security Architect will be primarily responsible for the design, build, operate, and upgrade enterprise level platforms and infrastructure. Focus is AWS Cloud-Native infrastructure with Microsoft Server workloads.
The problem we are solving is rehosting government physical and virtual servers into AWS, and then refactoring them for AWS cloud native services. This includes network access.
- Candidates must have experience working with a variety of Server Operating Systems to include Microsoft Windows Server, Linux Servers, and Cloud based IAAS/PAAS Systems
- Service Design - Design, build, upgrade, and operate multiple cloud environments. Hands-on installation & configuration within the AWS/Azure Clouds & DoD Data Centers
- Architecture Management – Developers designs using extensive experience and knowledge of cloud service providers such as Amazon Web Services (AWS) or, Microsoft Azure
- Network Management - Demonstrated knowledge and hands on experience with LAN/WAN design, TCP/IP protocol, AWS VPC, AWS Route53, AWS Directory Service, etc.
- Configuration Management - Document architectures, procedures, and processes for use by other cloud operators. DevOps/automation concepts, tools, and scripting languages (AWS Code Commit, AWS CodeDeploy, AWS CloudFormation, Ansible, Terraform, Python, PowerShell, Bash, Puppet, Chef, etc. Develops infrastructure as Code
- Problem Management – Leverage AWS Advisor. Review/Monitor entire environment and execute initiatives to reduce failures, defects, and improve overall performance. Provide incident management support on escalated trouble tickets when necessary
- IT Operations Management - Responsible for providing advanced support, troubleshooting, architectural design, and management of the overall health of a managed infrastructure solution
- Security Management - Working knowledge of NIDS (Network Intrusion Detection Systems) and HIDS (Host-based Intrusion Detection Systems), DoD HBSS (Host Based Security System) [McAfee ePo], DoD ACAS (Assured Compliance Assessment Solution) [ Tenable, Nessus], STIGs, IAVM (IA Vulnerability Management), AWS Managed Firewall, AWS CloudWatch, AWS CloudTrail, AWS Security Groups, AWS IAM
- Cost Management - Control AWS costs by right-sizing services for capacity management needs, monitor usage, use AWS Cost Explorer to optimize savings. Understand the AWS Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) calculators.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Engineer, Math or related field or equivalent experience.
- Certifications: AWS Cloud Practitioner Certification, CompTIA Security+ Certification (at least six-months after hire).
- Experience: 10+ years enterprise IT experience that includes at least 2 years of hands-on Operations, DevOps, systems engineering, systems architecture, 2+ years of AWS GovCloud.
- Knowledge: Understanding of application, server, and network security, and ability to write whitepapers.
- Soft Skills: Ability to be a team player, and ability to mentor teammates.Preferred Qualifications
- Education: Master’s degree in Computer Science/Engineer, Math or related field or equivalent experience.
- Certifications: AWS Certified Solutions Architect, Associate or Professional, AWS Certified Security Specialty. A computing environment certification (i.e. Windows, Linux, MSCE, MCSD, Azure Solutions Architect, AWS Certified Solutions Architect, etc.)
- Experience: 10+ years enterprise IT experience that includes at least 5 years of hands-on Operations, DevOps, systems engineering, or systems architecture, 5+ years of Cloud computing experience, working with Department of Defense, and building, or working with a DoD CAP (Cloud Access Point).
- Knowledge: Intermediate/advanced knowledge and experience with AWS services, DoD customer, and AWS GovCloud.
- Soft Skills: Meets/exceeds SMS's leadership principles that reflect the Amazon Leadership Principles. Customer facing and presentation skills. Whiteboard session skills.Clearance
- US Citizenship and an active DoD Secret, able to obtain DoD Top Secret.Industry
- Computer Software, Information Technology & Services, Internet, CloudEmployment Type
- Full-time, W2+Benefits
- Level: Senior
- Work Location: Tysons Corner, Va
- Travel: Ability to travel up to 20% of the time.Keywords
- AWS, EC2, S3, EBS, DevOps, DevSecOps DoD, Windows Server, SCCM, DISA, RMF, STIG, CAP, DirectConnect, ActiveDirectory, Secret, Firewall, DMZ, Security Groups, NACLS, AWS Managed Firewall, VPC. AWS CloudWatch, AWS CloudTrail, AWS IAM
SMS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
SMS is a veteran-owned network integrator established in 1976. With an employee retention rate averaging over 5 years, our ability to hire quality people and retain them in a rapidly evolving IT market proves why we are a world-class information technology company. At SMS, we place a high value on quality of service, customer satisfaction, and best-of-breed policies and practices. As a result, SMS is proud to be ISO 9001:2008 Registered and a CMMI Level 3 certified company, ensuring that we continue to meet and exceed the expectations of our customers, partners and employees.
Job Type: Full-time
- SEC+ (Required)
- SECRET CLEARANCE (Required)
- AWS (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- Professional development assistance