Medical Assitant (Days) Pediatric Specialty Clinic(Job Number: 02531-84159)
Work Location: United States-Texas-San Antonio-Methodist Children's Hospital
Job Type: Nursing Support
The Medical Assistant will perform diversified clinical and administrative support duties for the outpatient clinic. The Medical Assistant will utilize skills in performing technical skills and support skills for the nursing and clinic staff in order to care for the patient in an effective and efficient manner.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Performs routine duties in caring for outpatient clinic patients as directed by the Registered Nurse, Respiratory Therapist, and M.D. and is able to demonstrate appropriate skills and/or competencies.
2. Assists the RN to collect data from patients on admission to clinic and assists with patient discharge preparations as instructed by RN. Reports and documents pertinent information such as vital signs, heights, weights, and pulse oximetry. After M.D. or PNP approves prescription refills the medical assistant calls or faxes the prescription refills to the pharmacy. Obtain pharmacy prior authorizations. Completes DME forms for M.D. signature.
3. Maintains confidentiality of patient information and records at all times.
4. Performs, vital signs, heights, weights, phlebotomy, injections, and reports pertinent information to appropriate RN, RRT or M.D. Obtains and labels specimens. Urine and sputum collection in cups, blood collection and transports specimens to lab as directed.
5. Provides assistance to other nursing personnel as needed. Assists with the orientation of new personnel as appropriate. Runs errands, stocks examination rooms, maintains cleanliness of patient rooms, and triage area on a daily basis. Performs other duties as delegated by the RN.
6. Prepares charts and orders for patient’s upcoming clinic visit. Assist with clerical duties as assigned, including medical records correspondence, scheduling procedures, collects medical reports for RN to review and coordinating patient labs and /or procedures. Will assist in other clerical duties such as answering telephone calls, pages. Medical assistant will triage messages appropriately to the RN
Minimum Education and Experience:
Prior experience as Medical Assistant preferred. Will consider individuals who are certified Nurse Aides. Completion of a certified medical program preferred. Training as military medic or Certified Monitor Technicians would be considered.
Minimum License and Certificates Required:
Preferred to have completed of a certified Medical Assistant Program