Full Job Description
The mission of The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center is to eliminate cancer in Texas, the nation, and the world through outstanding programs that integrate patient care, research and prevention, and through education for undergraduate and graduate students, trainees, professionals, employees and the public.
The primary purpose of the Chief Histology Laboratory is to manage the daily line operations of the laboratory including laboratory work performed, supervision and evaluation of employee performance. Supervise and lead all of the technical activities of an assigned section of the Histopathology Laboratory.
Courtesy: Is respectful and courteous to each other at all times.
Friendliness/Teamwork: Promotes and rewards teamwork and inclusiveness; is sensitive to the concerns of our patients and our co-workers.
Reliability: Communicates frequently, honestly and openly.
Accountability: Holds self and others accountable for practicing our values.
Safety: Models safe behavior (wears badge and personal protective equipment, washes hands, and keeps work area clean and orderly); Notices a safety concern or emergency, understands role and uses proper procedures to report it; Mitigates risk to the institution through sound business practices; Demonstrates ethical and personal responsibility in work and behavior
Responsiveness: By his/her actions, creates an environment of trust; Encourages learning, creativity and new ideas.
Personal Leadership/Self-Initiative: Helps others to identify and solve problems; Seeks personal growth and enables others to do so.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
1. Performs histological procedures, frozen and other specialized sectioning (to include micron intervals, shavings and thick sectioning) and all other procedures utilized in the research core lab in a proficient manner
2. Directs Immunohistochemical staining procedures for the RHCL and works with Pathologist to develop quality control standards.
1. Management workflow operations of the histology core lab ents, supplies resources, and reagents.
2. Provides oversight to data coordinators in inventory control for laboratory and satellite offices.
3. Develops laboratory policies, implements institutional, laboratory, and safety standards.
4. Assists in CCSG quarterly and progress reporting, including renewal efforts
5. Act as a liason between PIs and RHCL in develoing and modifying research protocols.
1. Directs senior technical staff in collaboration of laboratory vision, policies and customer services.
2. Supervises Research Data Coordinators in transport and retrieval of tissue samples and slides to and from satellite offices.
3. Provides oversight to data coordinators in inventory control for laboratory and satellite offices.
Provide service to our stakeholders, including patients, caregivers, colleagues and each other, in a safe, courteous, accountable, efficient and innovative manner to include:
Promoting inclusiveness and collegiality that demonstrates respect and professionalism to our stakeholders at all times
Modeling safe, ethical behavior that mitigates risk to the institution through sound business practices, and adherence to MD Anderson's Standards of Conduct, institutional policies and procedures
Responding to requests in a timely manner while proactively communicating expectations for procedures, service arrival, or project deliverables to stakeholders
Using the steps to HEAL (Hear, Empathize, Address and Learn) the relationship when service recovery is needed.
High school diploma or equivalent. Ten years Histology Technician (HT) or Histology Technologist (HTL) registered experience to include two years experience in a supervisory capacity -OR-Eight years Histology Technician (HT) or Histology Technologist (HTL) registered experience to include two years experience in a supervisory capacity and graduation from an American Society of Clinical Pathologist (ASCP) approved school of Histotechnology and two years of college courses -OR- Five years Histology Technician (HT) or Histology Technologist (HTL) registered experience to include two years experience in a supervisory capacity and graduation from UT M.D. Anderson Cancer Center's School of Histotechnology and two years of college courses. Successful completion of the LEADing Self Accelerate program may substitute for one year of required supervisory or management experience. Histology Technician (HT) certification with the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP). It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
Requisition ID: 136057
Employment Status: Part-Time Benefits Eligible
Employee Status: Regular
FLSA: exempt and not eligible for overtime pay
Work Week: Days
Fund Type: Soft
Pivotal Position: No
Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 68,800
Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 86,000
Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 103,200
Science Jobs: No