United States Postal Service
External Publication for Job Posting 10363995
If this job requires qualification on an examination, the number of applicants who will be invited to take or retake the
examination may be limited.
Job Posting Period
10/15/2019 - 10/30/2019
PRICING AND COSTING
475 LENFANT PLZ SW
WASHINGTON, DC 20260-0004
TITLE: ECONOMIST ASSOCIATE
GRADE: EAS - 17
FLSA DESIGNATION: Exempt
OCCUPATION CODE: 0110-0042
NON-SCHEDULED DAYS: Saturday/Sunday
HOURS: 08:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.
SALARY RANGE: 60,000.00 USD Annually
FINANCE NUMBER: 104295
BENEFIT INFORMATION: We offer excellent benefits including health and life insurance, retirement plan,
savings/investment plan with employer contribution, flexible spending, flextime scheduling of core work hours, annual and
START DATE of position: FEBRUARY 15, 2020
Persons Eligible to Apply
All U.S. Citizens, permanent resident aliens, citizens of American Samoa or any other territory owing allegiance to the United
States are eligible to apply for this position. Screening activities, including an interview are required for this position. To be
considered for this employment opportunity, applicants must apply online at www.usps.com/employment. A valid email
address is required to apply to this position as communication regarding employment opportunities, interviews and
background checks will be sent via email.
Please add the following email domain addresses to your contact list to allow all correspondences to be received.
@usps.gov @geninfo.com @uspis.gov
To be considered for this role, you must submit a resume and transcript at the time of application, complete all elements of
the screening process, and interview at the date and time specified.
The Inspection Service criminal background check is conducted using United States information resources only (e.g., FBI
fingerprint check, state and county checks). A criminal background check involves a 5-year inquiry for any location where
the individual has resided, worked or gone to school within the United States or its territories. As a result of this limitation,
the criminal background checks of individuals who have not resided in the United States or its territories for the preceding
5-years may not be considered complete. The Inspection Service may be able to process inquiries for U.S. Citizens only,
but only if their time spent out of the country was spent as: a trailing spouse or dependent of someone working for the U.S.
government (military or civilian), a missionary, a student attending school in a foreign country, a Peace Corps participant, or
as an employee of a U.S.-based employer/company. If the Inspection Service is unable to perform a complete background
check because of residency outside the United States, such individuals will be ineligible for Postal employment.
Performs a variety of economic activities using economic analyses, reporting and program support within the Pricing and
Costing department. This is the first level of a three grade career ladder for economic professionals to develop the
competencies, technical knowledge, and skills needed for success in the full performance Economist EAS-21 position. At this
level, incumbents apply entry level technical knowledge, skills, and abilities to support department programs and projects.
Candidates entering this career ladder will work closely with a mentor/coach and execute an Individual Development Plan
outlining developmental requirements which have been tailored to the employee.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Performs entry-level economic project assignments designed to develop a broad understanding of U.S. Postal Services
Pricing and Costing functions and internal policies and procedures.
2. Collects and assembles data for cost studies and trend analysis reports.
3. Obtains and compiles economic and statistical data for use in the decision making process.
4. Supports the development and structuring of rate and cost concepts, trends, and actualities.
5. Researches developing economic trends impacting the mail industry and prepares summary reports.
6. Utilizes information system programs to gather economic data useful in project analysis.
7. Uses spreadsheet software to conduct financial and trend analysis and model pricing and costing simulations.
Manager of unit to which assigned.
The United States Postal Service has the following excellent and challenging employment opportunity for highly motivated
and innovative individuals. Successful candidates must demonstrate through a combination of education, training, and
experience the following requirements:
1. Ability to analyze and present economic and statistical data and briefings.
2. Ability to coordinate work with others to complete programs and projects.
3. Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing sufficient to develop technical reports and performance briefings.
4. Knowledge of economic theory and the analysis and reporting of statistical data.
5. Knowledge of sampling techniques used to conduct various analyses and use of statistical software programs in
generating economic data and trends.
6. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Products used to analyze and present results from statistical and economic research.
7. Ability to understand economic trends and techniques.
8. Ability to use spreadsheet software to conduct basic financial and trend analysis.
9. EDUCATION REQUIREMENT: Applicants must at minimum and prior to the start date, possess a Bachelors or Graduate
degree in Economics, Finance, or a closely related field from a college or university accredited by a national or regional
accreditation organization recognized and sanctioned by the U.S. Department of Education.
START DATE for position: FEBRUARY 15, 2020
Special Conditions: ALL APPLICANTS MUST ATTACH RESUME AND TRANSRIPT (OFFICIAL OR UNOFFICIAL) TO BE
CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION.
**This position requires a NACI clearance. This process can take up to 6 weeks from the date the offer letter is returned**
Qualified applicants must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screening to meet the U.S. Postal Service's requirement
to be drug free. Applicants must also be a U.S. citizen or have permanent resident alien status.
Applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m., Central Time, of the posting's closing date. Applicants claiming veterans'
preference must attach a copy of member copy 4 (only) of Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form
214) or other proof of eligibility if claiming 10-point veterans' preference. The United States Postal Service (USPS) is an
equal opportunity employer. The USPS provides reasonable accommodation for any part of the application, interview, and/or
selection process, please make your request to the examiner, selecting official or local manager of Human Resources. This
request can also be made by someone on your behalf. Explain the nature of your limitations and the accommodation
needed. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
SPECIAL NOTE: Current career Postal Service employees are ineligible to apply to this posting.