POWER Engineers is currently seeking a talented electrical engineering student for a summer internship. The successful applicant will be assisting in performing electrical studies and/or developing and troubleshooting supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) systems for utility and industrial/commercial clients. Applicable power systems primarily include conventional and renewable generation facilities, substations, transmission systems, and distribution systems. Activities will include one or more of the following:
Protective Relaying: short circuit and symmetrical component analysis, time-current coordination, protection scheme and criteria development, relay settings calculation, integration with SCADA systems, NERC compliance, and arc flash analysis. Applicable software: AcSELerator Quickset (SEL-5030), AcSELerator Architect, GE Enervista, ASPEN Oneliner, SKM-PTW, ETAP, RSCAD/RTDS
Power System Planning Studies: steady-state real and reactive power flow including outage contingencies, generation interconnect feasibility, P-V and Q-V analysis for voltage stability margins, dynamic stability performance, automation of large batch simulations, working with models from NERC regional entities (WECC, MRO, SERC etc.), NERC compliance. Applicable Software: PSS/E, PSLF, PowerWorld, Python Scripting
Infrastructure Design studies: substation grounding, corona and electric and magnetic fields, insulation coordination (lightning, switching surge, and contamination performance), transient (time domain) simulation, power quality (harmonics, voltage flicker, over/under voltage, etc.), motor starting, AC interference (transmission line interaction with railroads and pipelines). Applicable Software: CDEGS, ATP-EMTP, PSCAD
Networking and Communications: design and configure network and communication paths for Remote Terminal Units (RTUs), protective relays, meters, Human Machine Interface (HMIs), PLC’s and other SCADA system equipment; develop basic specifications for fiber optic, microwave, power line carrier, or radio communication paths; travel to project sites to troubleshoot and commission network and communication systems. Applicable network and communication protocols: DNP, Modbus, SEL Communication Protocol, Goose Messaging, IEC 61850
Logic and Control Systems: develop and implement logic and control schemes for remote and local operation of power system equipment; develop programs on various platforms for implementation of these schemes; travel to project sites to test and commission the control schemes. Applicable Logic and Control Platforms: SEL RTAC, Orion, Cooper SMP, GE-D20.
Data Acquisition: Prepare points lists of all data to be transferred between control centers and controlled apparatus, assign and program data addressing and routing information, develop Human Machine Interface (HMI) screens, travel to project sites to test and commission data transfer schemes. Applicable Software: Wonderware, Clearview, AcSELerator RTAC, Visual Basic, OSIPI, Python scripting etc.
- Pursuit of a Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from an accredited university
- Successful completion of junior level courses in power system analysis and/or power system protection
- Candidate is interested in consulting engineering and the electric utility industry
- Candidates must be willing to travel on occasion and work successfully in a customer focused, project oriented environment
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work permanently in the U.S. without the need for work sponsorship
- Preference is given to applicants with any of the following: within 1 year of graduation, GPA above 3.3/4.0, power system courses covering topics such as three-phase power, load flow and reactive compensation, protective relaying, symmetrical components, transmission line theory, power system transients, dynamic stability, and power system electromagnetics
- Attention to detail, time management, and organizational skills will be critical for successful completion of tasks
- Prior internship and/or power systems related engineering experience is a plus
- Students who have passed or are scheduled to take the FE/EIT exam will be strongly considered for this position