The Temporary Appointment Clerk/Medical Receptionist for our Logan Health Center
performs a variety of tasks and serves as an initial point of contact (via the telephone or clinic appointment), all with the goal of fostering an environment which promotes patient comfort and trust.
This is a 40 hours per week, typically Monday through Friday (may include periodic Saturday hours). The ideal candidate has excellent customer service skills working with diverse populations. Previous medical office work experience is a plus.
Tiburcio Vasquez Health Center, Inc. is a non-profit community health center that is dedicated to promoting the health and well-being of our community by providing accessible, high quality care by integrating primary care, dental care, WIC support, mental health counseling, community health education and more.
- Performs day-to-day administrative functions and general office duties including but not limited to word processing, copying, filing, faxing, answering phones and data entry.
- Provides information to Clinic callers according to the Clinic’s Policies and Procedures; transfers calls as needed; works with central reception to ensure adequate phone coverage at all times.
- Welcomes and greets patients/clients/visitors to the department in a manner that is helpful and friendly; determines purpose of visit and direct patients/clients/visitors to appropriate person or department(s).
- Schedules patient flow to clinic based on predetermined appointment arrangements to allow the clinic to serve an adequate number of patients as established by grant requirements.
- When scheduling appointment, carefully screens patients for new address, new patient visit or update registration and informs patient of adequate information that must be presented at time of visit.
- Adheres to all Clinic policies on safety and security; maintains restricted areas safe by safeguarding keyless entry codes and computer system passwords in strict confidentiality.
- Informs patient of any existing balance noted in computer and request patient be prepare for any payment due at time of visit.
- Calls patients daily to confirm next day’s appointment.
- Verifies method of payment for service (MediCal, Medicare, private insurance, private payee, Healthy Families, etc.) and collects data and/or payment as appropriate.
- Attends scheduled department staff and clinical meetings.
- Performs EHR/EPM data entry duties.
- Performs other duties, as required.
- Graduation from high school or equivalent plus six months of medical receptionist experience in comparable health care setting.
- Willingness to work periodic Saturdays and/or evening hours.
- Prior administrative or clerical experience in a clinical or community-based setting
- Bilingual; English/Spanish highly desirable
General Skills Required:
- Must have the ability to exercise a high degree of diplomacy and tact; excellent customer services and interpersonal communication skills; Cultural sensitivity and demonstrated ability to work with diverse people groups.
- Intermediate to advanced phone skills; able to effectively relate via the telephone and in-person to serve the needs of Clinic patients/clients/visitors in a manner that is efficient and productive.
- Knowledge of basic math and modern office procedures.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Proven flexibility and willingness to handle a variety of tasks.
- Basic to intermediate computer knowledge and skills.
- Must exercise utmost diplomacy and tact to provide excellent customer service for patients; practices confidentiality and privacy protocols in accordance to Clinic policies and HIPAA requirements.
- Training and/or experience with computer data entry and ability to type a minimum of 45 WPM. Ability to operate a 10 key calculator by touch.