The Business Development Lead for the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) works to improve the LMI market position and financial growth in HHS, with specific expertise and focus on the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). This position identifies imminent and long-term opportunities, builds key customer relationships, develops strategic partnerships, identifies funded programs, qualifies opportunities, supports capture and proposals efforts, negotiates and closes business deals, and maintains extensive knowledge of current market conditions. It is the responsibility of this position to work with potential customers, existing customers, existing partners, potential partners, the internal team, marketing staff, and other managers to identify opportunities to increase the qualified pipeline and revenue for LMI.
- Know, apply and promulgate effective best practices in business development processes.
- Identify, capture, and close business by further increasing strategic alliance relationships.
- Formulate and implement strategies and action plans to develop a healthy pipeline and path to attain and maintain sales performance targets.
- Coordinate strategy, approach, and deliverables with others, and manage and lead efforts of the bid/capture team.
- Exhibit technical writing skills and an understanding of price-to-win strategies.
- Deliver excellent verbal presentations.
- Collaborate with proposal managers and business development professionals on large strategic opportunities; analyze customer requirements, competitors, and internal capabilities.
- Develop opportunity qualification, win strategies, and discriminators.
- Participate in color team proposal reviews as appropriate.
- Help negotiate and develop teaming arrangements with potential prime contractors or subcontractors, including work share allocation and marketing arrangements.
- Leverage existing and build new client relationships within assigned accounts, both decision makers and supporting staff.
- Develop and maintain detailed account plans.
- Build teams based on gap analysis and synergy of capabilities.
- Be a customer advocate to ensure alignment of customer needs and expectations with delivered services, technology, and innovation.
- Understand and be able to brief (and sell) LMI service lines and help develop new service offerings to meet customer needs.
- Provide accurate and timely data for weekly opportunity updates, monthly business development reviews, opportunity gate reviews, and capture plan updates.
- Forecast opportunity targets, track, and record activity on accounts to close deals.
- Travel to client sites (up to 50% of time) in the DC/Baltimore Metropolitan Area.
- Successfully led the capture of at least three large federal government contracts within HHS, preferably CMS ($10 million in value or larger).
- Familiarity with and past use of price to win strategies to effectively bid new work.
- Strong ability to collaborate to get things done in a matrixed organization (e.g., successful collaboration across divisions and groups).
- Proven ability to develop, sustain, and utilize relationships.
- Proven ability to develop, maintain, and mature a qualified multi-year pipeline of new business opportunities, and driving opportunities to a biddable and winnable state.
- Strong listening, communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Must be a team player that proactively engages in a positive manner in all phases of the business development lifecycle.
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels of an organization.
- Passion and drive to seek out or create new business opportunities.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability of business development strategies around both stand-alone contracts and contracting vehicles.
- Minimum of 7-10 years of experience working in the federal government or in federal government consulting.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of experience working in or with HHS and CMS.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of HHS and CMS business development experience.
- Documented track record of winning new business both as a prime and subcontractor.
- Strong existing HHS and CMS customer and industry partner relationships.
- Salesforce and GovWin experience a plus.
- Minimum Education/Training Requirements: Bachelor's degree; Advanced degree preferred.
- Applicants selected for this position may be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. For this position, LMI will only consider applicants with current security clearances or applicants who are eligible for security clearances. Please note that only U.S. Citizens are eligible for a security clearance.
Job Location: Woodlawn, MD with occasional travel to LMI Headquarters in Tysons, VA United States