FARM TO SCHOOL COORDINATOR
Common Ground Farm is a non-profit organization located near Beacon, NY, committed to making fresh, affordable food available to all and to serving our community with educational programs. We run a sustainable six acre vegetable farm, provide programming for children and adults, work with the Beacon City School District to bring food and programs into the schools, and operate two local farmers’ markets to improve food access. We are currently seeking a part time Farm to School Coordinator to lead food procurement and Farm to School initiatives in Beacon. The Farm to School Coordinator will work closely with both Common Ground Farm staff and the Beacon City School District Food Services Director to increase local food in the cafeteria. This is a two-year half-time position funded through the USDA Farm to School grant program.
- Develop a system to assess and track local food purchases for the Beacon City School District
- Create an RFP and send it to local food vendors and distributors with the goal of increasing competitive NYS dairy, produce, and other bids.
- Develop a Farm to School procurement network with other NYS Farm to School Coordinators, farms, manufacturers, and distributors
- Centralize local resources to build an effective and efficient local procurement strategy
- Develop and evaluate strategies for increasing NYS food purchases, by collaboration on seasonal and plant-forward menu development, substituting local ingredients into popular menu items, etc.
- Develop an assessment tool to determine if local food purchases benchmarks have been reached
- Provide data for reporting requirements through the USDA Farm to School Grant
- Participate in all Farm to School program meetings for the Beacon Farm to School project
- Facilitate student and family tastings
- Aggregate data collected from tastings and staff surveys for reporting requirements
- We are seeking a motivated individual who is passionate about food and its role in our health and in strengthening local food systems
- Must be highly organized, with excellent attention to detail
- Exceptional writing and communication skills
- An understanding of school food procurement and knowledge of the regional food system is a plus
- Must be able to work independently, with weekly check-ins and regular communication with staff/board
- Excellent at prioritizing among tasks and managing a variety of responsibilities
- Interest in food-based education a plus!
- This position is budgeted as a 20 hour per week position, beginning in October 2019
- This position is a two-year funded position
- This position works out of the CGF office
To apply: Submit cover letter and resume. Please have three references available upon request. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Application Deadline: Friday, October 25th, 2019
Common Ground Farm is an equal opportunity institution/employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, sex, religion, age, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by law.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $18.00 to $22.00 /hour
- Regional Food Systems: 2 years (Preferred)
- School Food Service: 2 years (Preferred)
- Please include a cover letter that describes your interest in Farm to School and your experience in local food systems and/or food procurement.
Hours per week:
Company's Facebook page: