Anesthesia Veterinary/Animal Technician IIJob Summary:
The primary responsibility of the Anesthesia Veterinary/Animal Technician II is to provide the highest quality anesthetic monitoring care to the patients of Angell Animal Medical Center in the Surgery Service. The Anesthesia Technician II must work in conjunction with a team of doctors and technicians to provide support and direction for the interns and residents.
The Anesthesia Veterinary/Animal Technician IImust excel in interpersonal communication skills. S/he must be reliable, independent, and able to work in a dynamic and fast-paced team environment while maintaining a positive and enthusiastic attitude. S/he should have the ability to recognize the needs of the staff working in Anesthesia Service.
The Anesthesia Veterinary/Animal Technician IImust have a strong technical background and knowledge of veterinary medicine and recognize the importance of conveying this knowledge and expertise to others.
The MSPCA values are a keystone of the department and organization, focusing on positivity, compassion, integrity, collaboration, excellence, and service. All employees are expected to be good financial stewards to preserve our long-term ability to carry out our mission to help animals as a non-profit organization.
Anesthesia Veterinary/Animal Technician II General Responsibilities (not limited to):
- Proficient in all tasks & procedures outlined in the training phases and anesthesia manual.
- Be able to perform basic line and local blocks under the direction of the anesthesiologist.
- Be able to perform advanced anesthesia techniques under the direction of the anesthesiologist, such as arterial line placement, central lines, and epidurals.
- Be able to perform anesthesia on the most critically ill patients and with multiple species including avian and exotic.
- Utilize technical and clinical knowledge learned in order to effectively assess, monitor and stabilize all surgical cases assigned to them within their technical ability by a lead/supervisor.
- Demonstrate and model basic technical skills including but not limited to venipuncture, IV catheter placement, basic anesthetic monitoring, IV fluid administration.
- Communicating and working closely with all staff members and visitors.
- Being able to work independently and within a group depending on the needs of the situation.
- Providing and ensuring quality patient care perioperatively.
- Utilize technical and clinical knowledge learned in order to effectively assess, monitor and stabilize all anesthesia cases assigned to them within their technical ability.
- Provide technical support to the more advanced Anesthesia Technicians (I and II and III) during emergency situations and arrests and with patients requiring intensive anesthetic monitoring.
- Recovering patients with diligence and compassion.
- Providing guidance and training to other anesthesia team members.
- Exhibiting and practicing the MSPCA values (positivity, compassion, integrity, collaboration, excellence, and service) on a daily basis.
- Being proactive with clients/visitors, able and willing to respond to their questions, complaints, and compliments with a non-judgmental and compassionate attitude when necessary.
Anesthesia Veterinary/Animal Technician IITraining:
- Assist in the training process for new and current employees; accurately recording, discussing and troubleshooting the trainee’s progress on the daily progress reports with the trainee, leads, and management.
- Constructively participate in the Intern and resident learning experience: help guide members of these groups as they learn the hospital policies. Be proactive in assisting them with their cases, procedures, record-keeping and any other issues related to their patients.
Anesthesia Veterinary/Animal Technician IIOperations:
- Knowledge and ability to learn to operate all equipment used in the surgery/anesthesia department.
- Equipment Maintenance: ability to troubleshoot and handle problems with anesthetic monitors, machines, and other anesthetic-related equipment. Keep them clean, tidy and well maintained.
- Be fiscally aware at all times.
- Coverage of other shifts when requested.
- Miscellaneous duties as assigned by management.
Anesthesia Veterinary/Animal Technician IIJob Requirements:
- Education: Bachelor or associates degree in veterinary technology or related fields required.
- Proof of CVT.
- Working towards VTS anesthesia/analgesia preferred.
- Experience: Minimum 3+ years veterinary experience preferred.
- Work experience in a fast-paced, multi veterinary hospital
- Obtained technical skills including but not limited to venipuncture, IV catheter placement, intubation, anesthesia, CPR procedures, etc.
- Equipment: Proficiency with various service equipment, instrumentation, computers, general
- Office equipment and hospital paging and phone systems.
- Physical: Able to stoop, bend, kneel and stand for prolonged periods of time
- Able to lift 50 lbs.
The employee should possess and utilize all of the following skills consistently when working in the capacity of the anesthesia Technician I.
- Computer proficiency; proficient with MS Office, Outlook and other software applications that become necessary to the operation of the department.
- Customer Service: the ability to provide internal & external constituents/client/contacts with the best possible service and treats all in a courteous, respectful manner at all times.
- Time Management: model and practice good time management including but not limited to attendance, timeliness and appropriate understanding, planning and organizing of daily work for maximum efficiency.
- Medical Terminology & Abbreviations: excellent working knowledge
- Work quality: consistently committed to the delivery and maintenance of quality animal care.
- Knowledge of standard precautions and the proper use of personal safety equipment.
- Report any safety issues or equipment malfunction or failure to the appropriate people. Supervisor.
Indeed Hire and MSPCA-Angell are working together to find the best candidate for this job.
Job Type: Full-time
- Animal Anesthesia: 2 years
- Certified Veterinary Technician