Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., originally creating the best-selling Kindle family of products. Since then, we have produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV, and Amazon Echo.
What will you help us create?
As a Dynamic Systems Control Engineer, you will be responsible for developing solutions to control complex electro-mechanical systems. You will take responsibility for developing models, performing analysis and producing algorithms for the control and estimation of robotic systems that guide and inform mechanical and electrical designs, and software implementation. You will demonstrate cross-functional resource interaction to accomplish your goals. You will play a role in defining processes and methods to improve the productivity of the entire team. You will investigate applicable academic and industry research applications, identify and initiate investigations of production technologies, prototype and test solutions to support product features, and design and validate production designs that deliver an exceptional user experience.
You will demonstrate strong working knowledge of physical systems, the desire to learn from new challenges and the problem solving and communication skills to work within a highly interactive and experienced team. Candidates must show a hands-on passion for their work and be able to communicate their ideas and concepts both verbally and visually. Candidates must demonstrate an ability to integrate feedback and to respond quickly to changing contexts and work environments. In this role, you will:
- Produce feature designs and validation to meet program objectives
- Develop, simulate, and prototype dynamic electro-mechanical systems
- Develop tests, perform failure analysis, and solution validation for product development
- Conduct field failure analysis and solution evaluation for production product issues
- Support positive team interactions to accomplish program objectives
- Provide cross-functional program integration support to ensure team success
- Commit to timely delivery of product features
- Manage schedules and milestones
- Apply technical expertise to problem solving throughout product lifecycle
- Mentor junior engineers in good design practice
- Masters or PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace or related field
- Experience designing, analyzing, implementing and debugging closed-loop feedback systems including PID and state-space representations
- Experience in design and implementation of controllers and estimators using both toolkits and self-developed code
- Experience in C, C++, or other programming language
- Experience with R, MATLAB, Python or similar scripting language
- Experience in modelling for simulation as well as characterization and validation of physical systems
- PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace or related field
- Experience with motor control and firmware development
- Experience in designing controllers using Model Predictive Control, Optimal Control and Adaptive Control theory
- Demonstrated influence in selection of sensors, actuators and electro-mechanical design
- Demonstrated experience implementing controls in production systems
- Demonstrated examples of implemented controls in high volume or consumer systems
- Demonstrated leadership and mentoring skills
- Experience with 3D CAD such as Solidworks, Creo or equivalent
This position will require international travel.
Lab126 is part of the Amazon.com, Inc. group of companies and is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer-Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation