The Legal Counsel role provides and manages the delivery of legal advice and services on products, services, initiatives, policies and developments for and on behalf of BMO Financial Group to achieve organizational goals while minimizing legal risk. The role draws on knowledge of the principles, practices and procedures of the law and knowledge of the financial services industry and its environment to implement areas of improvement, to ensure consistency with market practice, to identify risk, to ensure compliance with internal policies & procedures and to communicate appropriately with stakeholders for various functions/activities for an assigned business area and communicating appropriately with stakeholders. The role will support BMO’s Capital Markets business, with a focus on our M&A and Investment Banking advisory business.
- Provides and/or manages the delivery of legal advice from external and/or internal counsel, including reviewing and negotiating relevant documents
- Ensures compliance with internal policies and procedures
- Interprets and advises on legislation and regulations affecting the Capital Markets business
- Ensures ongoing delivery of legal advice
- Implements areas of improvement, in, light of market practice and other considerations
- As appropriate, contributes to and propose strategy and design of legal advice strategies
- Identifies risks and communicates with appropriate with stakeholders, in support of the Capital Markets business
- Minimum requirements are a degree in law (LLB or JD and license to practice law in New York
- Knowledge (3-7 years of experience) in capital markets legal area
- Knowledge of business and regulatory environment in which US banks and broker-dealers operates
- Skills in proactively providing ideas, advice and solutions relative to legal issues
- Strong analytical capability and judgement
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Above average negotiations skills
- Good relationship management skills/able to relate at all levels
- Ability to work independently and in team environment
- Strong research skills
We’re here to help
At BMO Harris Bank we have a shared purpose; we put the customer at the center of everything we do – helping people is in our DNA. For 200 years we have thought about the future—the future of our customers, our communities and our people. We help our customers and our communities by working together, innovating and pushing boundaries to bring them our very best every day. Together we’re changing the way people think about a bank.
As a member of the BMO Harris Bank team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://bmoharriscareers.com .
BMO Harris Bank is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. BMO Harris Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer for all, inclusive of Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Persons with Disabilities.
United States-New York-New York