Systems Administrators play a key role in the customer support function at INAP. As a Systems Administrator you are expected to demonstrate a technical knowledge and a customer service focus for a wide variety of technologies and applications.
As a Systems Administrator you will utilize technologies that form the building blocks of scalable and resilient solutions to include networking, servers, and storage. You will work as part of a team of skilled professionals that will work alongside of you to provide the very best experience for our clients.
You will provide support to both dedicated hardware and virtualized solutions. You are responsible for advising on industry best practices and standards to customers with security, scalability and performance in mind.
You are required to solve problems using a wide variety of resources and tools available to you. A Systems Administrator will have a strong working knowledge of current technologies while continuously learning about new technologies and best practices.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, management information systems, or similar technical discipline preferred, or an equivalent combination of education and experience (4 years).
- Strong organizational and communication skills required.
- Physical Requirements: must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- Experience working with troubleshooting Physical, Virtualized and Cloud infrastructure configurations.
- Working knowledge of common network topologies and hardware including firewalls, load balancers and servers.
- Understanding of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) or CentOS as well as either Ubuntu or Debian.
- Understanding of VMWare systems and tools.
- Advanced troubleshooting and configuration with Apache and NGINX.
- Experience with common CMS and eCommerce software such as Drupal, Wordpress and Magento.
- Working knowledge of web caching software such as memcache and Varnish is advantageous.
- Fundamental knowledge of SSH, TCP/IP, UDP, SSL, HTTP, HTTPS, DNS and other common protocols.
- Experience with Control Panel products such as Cpanel and Plesk.
- Ability to perform periodic software and hardware system updates, upgrades, backups and security patches.
- Configure, Administer and Troubleshoot solutions built using dedicated hardware, virtualized environments.
- Provide technical expertise to customers through various means on communications such as phone, tickets and online forums.
- Have an in depth understanding of the INAP product portfolio and educate customers on how best to utilize them.
- Use your knowledge to advise and guide Customers on how to enhance the performance & stability of hosted applications.
- Contribute to and maintain internal knowledge bases and documentation such as wiki's and code documentation.
- Maintain a high degree of industry and competitor awareness.
- Continuous product analysis, Q&A and improvement suggestions.
- Take responsibility for adhering to company security policies and procedures.
- Ability to install and configure software based off given documentation.
- Ability to diagnose and correct common issues within hosting software.
- Ability to navigate a command-line interface to correct common issues.
- Ability to follow direction from Senior System Administrators and retain knowledge gained.
- Experience working with and knowledge of Cisco routers and firewalls to technical specs.
- Exhibit strong verbal and written skills.
- 2-3 years experience with a server-based operating system.
- 2-3 years in a client-based support environment.
- Experience with web hosting control panels.
- Can-do attitude and willingness to expand skill set.
- Experience working in a team and ability to manage a set of tasks in an efficient flow.
- Basic understanding of hosting technology (Apache, PHP, MySQL, IIS, MSSQL, etc.)
- Basic understanding of configuring/maintaining hosting technologies.
- Understanding of logging and navigating logs to diagnose common issues.