Job Title: *Controls and Automation Engineer
Location: Houston, TX
The Controls and Automation Engineer will be responsible for the conception, design, development, and maintenance of drilling rig control system(s) software and hardware. The preferred candidate should have a good knowledge of AC drives, drilling rig equipment, and control system software. They will also be responsible for sustaining current rig software applications and fixing issues that are reported with the systems.
The successful candidate will: set high standards of performance for themselves and others; be professional in written, verbal and personal actions in any situation; seek new knowledge and experiences; have an analytical mindset that can utilize factual data to develop creative and business-oriented solutions; be self-aware and adjust accordingly to different environments and audiences
This role will work under the direction of the Manager of Controls and Automation.
- Responsible for developing control algorithms, system architecture and compiling software for PLC/PAC/SBC based systems, HMI design/implementation, data logging, and communication interfaces related to the drilling industry.
- Be capable of designing, developing and applying control system theory to compile software code for new and existing systems that is tuned for optimal response.
- Provide accurate system diagrams, loop diagrams, block diagrams, and network diagrams for new or existing software systems.
- Generate design documentation, drawings, operation manuals and related material for systems code and hardware.
- Perform as lead engineer on the solution developed and must be able to understand and translate the functional requirements into a system architecture and develop the best solution for large scale implementation.
- Generate work tasks, organize the ordering and delivery of equipment and materials, and oversee the efficient installation and commissioning of software and equipment.
- Work directly with third party contractors, Operations, Technical Services, and HSE management and rig crews to assist with the execution of a wide variety of company goals including, but not limited to, drilling system controls, R&D projects, etc.
- Provide technical support to field personnel as required to assist with troubleshooting PLC and control system issues.
- Develop and maintain a formal process for software change control to ensure that changes are introduced in a controlled and coordinated manner. This process will also include documenting revision management processes and controls.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team, managing multiple tasks and working on multiple projects simultaneously to meet challenging deadlines.
- Demonstrate clear written and verbal communication skills and ability to promptly give, and follow directions when working with others.
- Ability to safely navigate the yard and shop work sites with occasional walking, climbing, standing, stepping, etc. during normal operating conditions (day/night, outdoor hot/cold weather).
- Ability to safely navigate drilling rig work sites including regular walking, climbing, standing, stepping, etc. during various weather conditions (day/night, outdoor hot/cold weather).
- Ability to proficiently use MS Office Suite to develop presentations, correspondence, reports, and schedules (Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.).
- Physical ability to:
- Lift and carry 50 pounds independently while walking on uneven surfaces
- Bend, stoop, kneel, twist, and crawl occasionally during visits to field and operational work areas.
- Listen for unusual noises that signify equipment and or machinery problems.
- Stay alert and focused including during occasional extended work periods.
- Maintain spatial orientation and awareness to safely move around work environment with many moving objects including overhead machinery.
- Wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) at all designated times.
- Ability to regularly travel as needed to visit work sites and support business units; may require extended travel to remote locations and/or overnight stay(s) outside normal office area.
- Ability to work on weekends and be on call after hours as needed.
- Degree related to Electrical / Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, Controls and Automation.
- Knowledge of standard industrial communications protocols. (Ethernet/IP, Profibus, Profinet, CANBUS, OPC UA, etc.).
- 5+ years of proven experience with PLC/PAC/SBC programming related to drilling controls and automation.
- Proven experience in Omron PLC programming using CX-One software.
- 5+ years of HMI development using Wonderware.
- Working knowledge of VFD drives, and related equipment used in the drilling industry, preferably Converteam and Yaskawa VFDs.
- Knowledge of Labview development environment is a plus.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Possible future requirement
To be considered an applicant please register and apply at www.patenergy.com/careers
Job Type: Full-time
- Labview: 1 year (Preferred)
- PLC/PAC/SBC programming: 3 years (Required)
- HMI development: 1 year (Required)
- O&G - Drilling: 1 year (Required)