Coordinator, Field Operations
Senior Manager, Field Operations
Fort Myer, VA
To apply, please visit https://uso.bamboohr.com/jobs. Only local candidates will be considered.
USO of Metropolitan Washington-Baltimore (USO-Metro) is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization chartered by Congress, and dedicated to serving those who serve, and their families in Washington D.C., Maryland and Northern Virginia. It is through the generous financial support of individuals and organizations in the local community that USO-Metro is able to fulfill its mission. With the help of thousands of devoted volunteers, USO-Metro provides programs and services for active duty troops and their families at area military hospitals, six USO Centers, four USO airport lounges and a Mobile USO. Signature programs and services include holiday programs like Turkeys for Troops and Project USO Elf, emergency housing and food assistance, and caring for our wounded, ill and injured troops and their caregivers.
The Field Operations Coordinator is an administrative and program support role responsible for large-scale signature programs designed to serve the needs of the local military and their families. Programs include: outdoor movies, fall festivals, bingo, gaming tournaments, holiday events, family fairs, etc. This position serves a primary role in coordinating key elements of each program such as promotion, social media, registration, onsite support, supplies and equipment preparation, volunteer recruitment, donor acknowledgment, etc.
The position works in conjunction with Program Specialists and the Senior Manager of Field Operations to organize and implement recurring and specialized activities, events, and meetings. He/She serves as an ambassador of the USO brand and communicates with military commands, preferred vendors, corporate and community partners, donors, and other USO-Metro departments. The Coordinator spends at least half of his/her time in the field being active. Activities vary between driving, lifting, moving, facilitating activities, setting up, and tearing down, and the incumbent should be able to regularly carry and move up to 50 pounds.
- Coordinate large-scale event logistics, operations, inventory, communication, promotion, volunteer coordination, etc. in conjunction with Program Specialists.
- Assist Program Specialists with the carrying out of programs and events.
- Transport, assemble, and maintain novelty equipment including: popcorn machines, cotton candy, moon bounce and obstacle course inflatables, radar pitch, etc.
- Design promotional material and key art collateral to communicate programs and services to customers and community (example: event flyers, social media postings, corporate/community partner correspondence, EventBrite, Constant Contact).
- Collaborate with Program Specialists to develop team goals and objectives that support the Operations department’s strategic plan.
- Capture testimonial feedback, photos, media clips, etc. to be used for key stakeholder communications.
- Make regular updates to the organization website with current program information.
- Maintain and secure organized records and proper security and care for USO equipment, vehicles, fixtures, and supplies.
- Pick up, organize, and return program supplies to USO-Metro warehouse at Fort Belvoir. In conjunction with Warehouse Specialist and Program Specialist, maintain neat, organized event inventory.
- Maintain standard operating procedures for programs to aid in the continuity of services.
- Assist Center Operations and other departments with the carrying out of USO programs. Provide support to USO-Metro events at other locations in the Metropolitan Washington-Baltimore area.
- Measure program outcomes and collect feedback regarding program activities to validate offerings.
- Provide supervisor and other departments with regular in-kind and statistical reports to recap activities and delivery of services.
- Utilize a dedicated volunteer corps and special interest groups to support programs, events and other unique opportunities organization-wide. Regularly recognize and reward volunteer efforts.
- Organize meetings and presentations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, event management, recreation, social services or equivalent experience preferred.
- Strong project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve and develop solutions to unexpected challenges in the moment
- Able to drive a large vehicle (i.e. pick-up truck, cargo van); Able to operate standard concession equipment (i.e. popcorn machines, snow cone maker, generator). Able to learn how to operate a forklift (for use at the warehouse) and use comfortably.
- Demonstrated proficiency in various computer software programs including Microsoft Office.
- Experience scheduling employees or volunteers, preferably at large volume.
- High level of creativity and program planning skills.
- Willingness to solicit in-kind donations and cash contributions in support of program activities.
- Highly organized, accountable, flexible, and self-motivated with the ability to manage multiple tasks and remain calm in hectic situations.
- Must have valid driver’s license and clear driving record.
- This is a Monday – Friday day position that requires some evening, weekend and holiday work.
- Ability to regularly lift/move up to 50 pounds.
- Excellent writing, proofreading, and verbal communication skills.
- High sense of accountability and able to work in a team environment.
- Self-starter with attention to detail.
- Ability to interact with various groups including board of directors, senior corporate leaders, and Department of Defense and military officials, celebrities, and volunteers.
- Must possess a can-do spirit and be customer service oriented.
- Diplomacy and discretion to sensitive and confidential issues.
- Understanding of basic math and spreadsheets.
Please include a cover letter, explaining why you want to work with USO-Metro, and specifically with Field Operations. Please also briefly share any of your relevant skills or professional experiences that you believe would contribute positively to your ability to fill the position.
USO-Metro offers a generous benefits package to full-time employees that includes medical, dental and vision coverage, as well as life insurance, paid time off, and upon completion of eligibility dates, a company 401(k) and tuition assistance.