Camp Nurse, RN
Weekend /Third Shift/Part-time/PRN
A. Mission and Scope
The purpose of this position is to provide professional and quality on-site health care services to ensure the well being of trainees, guests and employees of the U.S. Space & Rocket Center (USSRC).
B.S. degree in Nursing preferred. Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certification required. Must have valid Alabama Nursing License.
2-4 years experience in emergency room or a minimum of 2 years experience in a clinic setting with a focus on pediatric and adolescent practice OR an equivalent combination of education or experience. Must have excellent verbal communication skills to interact effectively with guests and employees. Must have excellent assessment skills to effectively identify patient's condition.
C. Physical Requirements for the Position
This position has the following special requirements:
- Walking, climbing (stairs) to access other buildings and departments.
- Sitting for long periods of time (4-6 hrs.)
- Carrying, lifting up to 30 lb. boxes, supplies waist high
- Bending, kneeling to store, retrieve supplies
- Sight, reading, feeling, wrist movements to administer medications and first aid, to operate computer terminal, to examine patient condition
- Talking, hearing to communicate with patients, parents and employees in person and over the telephone
This position involves working in a climate controlled clinical environment. This position works in a confined area with other employees. This position is subject to the hazards of the profession. This position deals extensively with small children and parents, guests, and employees.
D. General Requirements
- Willingness to be open to learning and growing
- Interpersonal skills to work as an integral part of a team
- Must possess a valid driver's license
- Must possess a valid Alabama Nursing License
- Appropriate interpersonal/personal boundaries
- At least 21 years of age
- Maturity of judgment and behavior
- Accepts full responsibility of their actions and how these may affect others
- Adherence and participation in the Center's Safety Program
E. Professional Standards
- Understands and follows all policies & procedures
- Maintains high standards for work areas and appearance, presents self in a highly professional manner to others and understands that honesty & ethics are essential
- Ensures that confidentiality of Sick Bay information is maintained at all times
- Maintains a positive attitude toward the position & the company and appreciates that promptness and attendance at work is apart of sustaining a professional relationship
F. Teamwork Standards
- Takes an interest and initiative in the development of the Department's team
- Maintains pleasant and professional relationship with co-workers & assists as needed
- Remains positive about the team and facilitates an optimistic approach to resolution of issues
- Maintains productive, effective and professional relationships with all departments
G. Position Duties
- Medical Systems
- Meet or exceed the standards for the safety, security, hygiene, and emotional welfare of participants that may normally be expected of a firm and judicious parent.
- Ensure medicines are dispensed in accordance with prescriptions and parental guidelines and in an accurate and timely manner.
- Meet or exceed industry and professional standards for administering first aid to trainees, guests, and employees of the USSRC.
- Meet or exceed industry and professional standards for examination of trainees, guests and employees with complaints of physical symptoms.
- Ensure the accurate and timely preparation/distribution of documentation regarding exams, accident reports, medical records etc.
- Meet or exceed industry and professional standards for referring patients to hospital facilities for medical conditions that require treatment unavailable at the USSRC.
- Ensure parents of trainees referred for medical treatment are well informed of trainees' medical condition.
- Ensure the accurate and timely notification of parents in the event their child is medically discharged, injured or ill.
- Ensure USSRC employees are properly trained on health issues and medical procedures such as communicable diseases, first aid, emergency procedures, etc.
- Respond to questions/concerns of parents promptly to ensure they are informed on how SPACE CAMPâ will impact specific medical conditions.
- Ensure the accurate completion of incoming medical forms and notify appropriate departments of a special requests/needs in a timely and professional manner.
- Meet or exceed professional in industry standards for confidentiality of medical records and other related documentation.
- Ensure the nursing office has adequate supplies necessary to conduct daily operations.
- Meet or exceed legal and professional standards for the storage of medicines and prescriptions.
- Ensure timely arrangement of transportation for trainees to and from hospital facilities.
- Meet or exceed the expectations of the Nursing Supervisor for the accurate and timely completion of related tasks and assignments.
The above duties reflect the general responsibilities necessary to describe the principal work functions of the job, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be in the position.
Employee is responsible for working in a safe manner and keeping his/her workplace safe.