Currently Seeking: Scientist, Biology (Jupiter, FL)
Founded in November 2016, Expansion Therapeutics, Inc. is a private company focused on the discovery and development of ribonucleic acid (RNA) targeted small molecule medicines. Ribonucleic acid (RNA) is a polymeric molecule essential in various biological roles in coding, decoding, regulation, and expression of genes. Expansion is focused on expansion repeat disorders, which are responsible for over 30 neurological and neuromuscular diseases, and for which there are currently no satisfactory therapies. Our initial disease focus, myotonic dystrophy type 1 (DM1), is the most frequent cause of adult onset muscular dystrophy.
Expansion Therapeutics’ proprietary technology is based on pioneering work from the lab of Dr. Matthew D. Disney of The Scripps Research Institute Florida. In January 2018, we closed $55.3 million in Series A financing, co-led by 5AM Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Novartis Venture Fund, and Sanofi Ventures with participation from RA Capital Management and Alexandria Venture Investments. The financing will allow Expansion to advance our portfolio of novel RNA-targeted small molecule medicines to treat rare diseases.
With facilities in San Diego, California and Jupiter, Florida, Expansion Therapeutics currently employs 16 individuals in the U.S. It also has a seven-member board of directors, and six-member scientific advisory board comprised of leaders in the field of RNA-targeted small molecule chemistry and biology, RNA folding and structural biology. Additional information about the company is available at www.expansionrx.com.
Perform research in the laboratory as a molecular biologist applying the latest knowledge and techniques in the field. Advance the assigned program and contribute to the identification of a lead or development candidate. Utilize sound knowledge of target identification and validation in a drug discovery context.
- FRET-based in vitro assays, RT-PCR, RT-qPCR, RNA-FISH, and gel electrophoresis
- Mammalian cell culture, including primary cells
- Design and execute experiments to probe the effects of small molecules on RNA targets
- Record experimental data and prepare comprehensive project reports
- Communicate results to co-workers and management in both oral and written manner
- Upkeep and maintain equipment
- Train lower level personnel
- Other functions outlined in the Qualifications section below
- M.S/Ph.D. in molecular biology or related field strongly preferred
- At least 5 years additional experience in an industrial or academic setting
- Proficient in current molecular biology, cell engineering, and protein production technologies, including DNA/RNA isolation from mammalian cells and tissues and cloning/sub-cloning
- Significant experience with an array of molecular and cell biology methods, including RNA splicing isoform analysis (RT-PCR, RT-qPCR) of cells and tissues, RNA-FISH of cells and tissues, and genotyping of tissues
- Experience with RNA-seq analysis, cell-based high throughput screening, and target vector design; creation of stable cell lines is highly desirable
- Experience measuring RNA binding with small molecules via fluorescence, BLI, ITC, MST
- Prior experience in handling small animals safely, efficiently and humanely
- Ability to administer test articles by standard routes – SC, IP, IM, IV and oral gavage
- Excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Demonstrated strong understanding of complex scientific procedures with technical proficiency in molecular and cell biology
- Several first author or co-author publications in peer-reviewed journals demonstrating research accomplishments is preferred
- Ability to adapt in a fast-paced environment
- Self-starter with a strong work ethic and ability to work independently and show flexibility when needed
- Ability to work effectively in teams and collaborate with other scientists including chemists, structural biologists, pharmacologists and toxicologists
- Familiarity with standard laboratory instrumentation, computers, and office and laboratory software
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $80,000.00 to $95,000.00 /year
- Mammalian Cell Culture: 5 years (Preferred)
- RNA Isolation: 5 years (Preferred)
- Molecular Biology: 5 years (Preferred)