Full Job Description
Position: Behavioral Health Therapist
Department: Behavioral Health
Reports To: Clinical Supervisor
Position Status: Exempt
As part of the Care Team, the Behavioral Health Therapist, works in the primary care setting as a regular
team member and delivers long term trauma-informed therapy services to patients, family members and
significant others for a wide range of symptoms related to toxic stress, past trauma, substance use
disorders, mood disorders and behavioral issues. This position will provide therapeutic, evidence
based services to children, adolescents and adults to promote behavior change, reduce risk behavior
and improve general overall health.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provide screening and clinical assessment of patients struggling with behavioral issues.
2. Determine appropriate diagnosis and treatment regime dependent on the patient’s needs,
culture, home environment and preferred method of therapeutic intervention.
3. Provide evidence-based weekly therapy services and psycho-education to a caseload of children,
adolescents and adults in addition to supportive others.
4. Conduct suicide and homicide risk assessments, as indicated.
5. Contact collaborative resources for information related to patient care, and coordinates with
outside community agencies, as needed.
6. Be available for “curbside” consultation by working in the primary care setting or available
by phone or EHR text to primary care providers (PCP’s).
7. Participate in multi-disciplinary staffings related to patient care.
8. Maintain an up-to-date library of patient education materials.
9. Identifies, reviews, and modifies educational materials for literacy level and cultural
appropriateness (under appropriate supervision).
10. Provides PCPs with feedback on initial patient assessment and follow up care either in person
or via secured electronic message.
11. Facilitates and assists with referrals to social services, as needed.
12. Completes clinical notes and other necessary paperwork in a timely manner to comply with all
administrative regulations. Completes visit notes within 72 business hours of visit completion.
13. Educates and assists PCPs and the team in basic strategies for working with behavioral issues
14. Supports and assists (as needed) collaboration of PCPs and psychiatrists concerning medication
15. Collect data and support program evaluation and fidelity tracking.
16. Attend required meetings regularly, including the Provider and Site meetings.
17. Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills or Abilities
1. Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively with primary care staff,
patients, and other behavioral health clinicians.
2. Highly skilled in providing behavioral health services with past experience working with a
wide range of ages and presenting issues.
3. Knowledge and interest in providing trauma-informed behavioral interventions.
4. Ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
5. Proficient in the use of computers and Microsoft Office.
6. Proficient in the use of an electronic health record.
1. Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time.
2. Must be able to move around the clinic site 50% of the time.
3. Constantly operates a computer, computer printer, copy machine, and telephone.
4. Occasionally positions self to maintain exertion of physical strength to move objects of 10
pounds from one level to another.
5. Must be able to transport from one site to another.
6. Must be able to cover other shifts as necessary
Required Knowledge, Experience, or Licensure/Registration
1. Master’s degree in Social Work or Psychology
2. LCSW, LCPC or Psy.D./Ph.D active licensure.
3. Must possess all licenses, registrations, certifications, and accreditations required by law
to render health care services in the state of Illinois.
4. Must maintain full credentials and privileges to practice with PrimeCare.
5. Minimum of three years of clinical experience as a behavioral health provider in a health care
6. Work flexible work schedules, which could include nights and weekends, when necessary.
7. Previous experience in a primary care setting preferred.
8. Strongly preferred bilingual in English/Spanish or English/Polish.
**PrimeCare Community Health is part of the National Health Service Corps, as such, you will be able to participate in their Loan Repayment Program. For more information please visit their website at https://bhw.hrsa.gov/loans-scholarships
PrimeCare Community Health is firmly committed to creating a diverse workplace and is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants. Therefore, PrimeCare does not discriminate on the basis of creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, marital or parental status, alienage, disability, political affiliation or belief, military or military discharge status.