GENERAL DUTIES (not all inclusive):
- Responsible for maintaining a safe workplace and ensuring that safety is the highest priority in the workplace.
- Complies with all Environmental Health & Safety and Quality Assurance requirements and goals. Provide documentation to these divisions as necessary to ensure adequate and legal documentation.
- Provides Fire/EMS/Crash Fire (ARFF)/hazardous materials emergency response.
- Is responsible for implementing USAP Fire Prevention Plan and ensuring that emergency response equipment is operational within the guidelines stipulated by this plan and the Disaster Preparedness Plan for the particular Antarctic site/station.
- Implements as assigned the fire prevention programs for that conform to the United States Antarctic Program, including the operation of contract locations in Antarctica.
- Ensures that equipment is operational and able to function within the Fire Prevention and Disaster Preparedness Program for McMurdo Station.
- Ensures that emergency equipment under the control of the fire department is operational and in a state of readiness.
- Responds to emergencies, disasters and hazardous material spills according to the responsibilities identified in the Disaster Preparedness Plan for McMurdo Station.
- Interacts with National Science Foundation, military and other agency officials in a professional and tactful manner.
- Handles confidential matters (management reports, etc.) in accordance with management policy.
- Perform duties in support of Operations Division metrics (as provided by supervisor)
- Support the achievement of metrics, whether metrics are directly or indirectly, affected by this position’s work activities.
- Work to achieve goals and contractual commitments.
- Performs dispatch duties as needed.
- Participates in ongoing training as necessary to remain current on EH&S standards, OSHA requirements, as well as Fire, EMS, and Hazmat.
- Employees and contractors may, in the course of performing their official duties, have access to a wide variety of personal identifiable and sensitive information (PII/SI) electronically and in hard copy. Personal and sensitive data including Social Security numbers, date and place of birth, demographic data, home addresses/telephone numbers/personal email addresses, passport numbers, bank account numbers, performance reviews, reviewer identity tied to performance.
- Physical activities to include lifting up to the safety regulation maximum, climbing, crawling and dragging hose. Duties will be performed indoors and outdoors and work may be performed in a variety of weather conditions including severe cold, wind, and limited visibility.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Associate of Science degree in Fire Science is preferred.
- IFSAC, Pro-Board/DoD, or State Certified Firefighter II; Airport Fire Fighter; Hazardous Materials First Responder: Operations; and EMT-B required. National Incident Management System (NIMS): ICS 100 and 200 are required. Valid state driver’s license is required.
- IFSAC, Pro-Board/DoD or State Certified Driver Operator Pumper/Mobile Water Supply; Driver Operator ARFF; Paramedic; and Hazardous Materials First Responder - Technician preferred
- Three years previous full time firefighting experience is required; two years volunteer experience or paid on-call time equals one year full time experience.
- Willingness and ability to deploy to Antarctica for extended periods is required.
- Must be willing and able to lift and move items, parts, assemblies and equipment up to the safety regulation maximum.
- Must be willing and able to perform physical activities including heavy lifting, climbing in and out of equipment, crawling, and working outdoors.
- Must successfully complete the physical, dental and psychological (if applicable) examinations as required by the NSF for deploying to Antarctica.
- Must participate in community programs, such as “house-mouse” (chores), “daisy-picking” (cleaning-up around the station), recycling efforts and safety objectives.
- US citizenship or Permanent US Resident status is required.
Job Type: Contract
- Firefighting: 3 years (Required)
- ARFF (Required)
- EMT-B (Required)