Full Job Description
Security This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
Salary Salary Negotiable
Experience and Education Master's degree in a related field. Eight (8) years Clinical Laboratory Services experience, 3 years supervisory experience. American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) or appropriate Clinical Laboratory Certification in Specialized Laboratory Service as applicable, current Basic Life Support (BLS). Experience in a 250 bed hospital environment.
Job Duties 1. Ensures the quality of the Clinical Laboratory Service Line and Specifically the Departments assigned under the respective areas of responsibility through ongoing monitoring of clinical and administrative delivery systems, insuring safety and best practice proven operational area performance standards. Develops new and/or revises existing procedures for consideration by the Medical and Administrative directors. Maintains and implements knowledge of all rules, regulations, policies, procedures, guidelines, and laws that impact and govern Clinical Laboratory Services in order to ensure that the service line is in compliance.
2. Assists the Administrative and Medical Directors and the Associate Vice president of Clinical Ancillary Services with meeting all clinical and administrative goals and objectives. In the absence of the Administrative Director or when requested, represents the Clinical Laboratory Services department knowledgeably and professionally at all meetings, conferences, committees in the role of Administrative Director as appropriate and/or required.
3. Meets or exceeds financial goals and objectives of the department. This includes monitoring and management of the Clinical Laboratory Services areas of responsibilities budget to ensure appropriate expenses and revenues are being reconciled.
4. Stays abreast of the latest developments, advancements, and trends in Clinical Laboratory Services. Attends seminars/workshops, networks with colleagues, reads professional journals, actively participates in professional organizations, and integrates this knowledge as appropriate into the job in order to maintain a current knowledge of Clinical laboratory Services and presents new ideas for improvement to both administrative and clinical services.
5. Evaluates staff productivity. Identifies and analyzes the designs of jobs, work processes and work flows for the Clinical Laboratory Services areas of responsibility and implements appropriate changes in order to improve effectiveness, productivity, and efficiency that support the overall goals of the Service Line. Provides a learning environment which fosters the improvement, growth, and development of staff through teaching, mentoring, and coaching processes.
6. Implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the departmental strategic plan and standards of care.
7. Mentors staff in good decision making skills, and problem identification and resolution processes. Promotes staff ownership of the work environment encouraging process improvement actions.
8. Maintains high visibility and availability through participation in departmental meetings and daily activities. Maintains effective communications with other Clinical Ancillary Services Staff and Departments, nurses, physicians, Pathologists and Laboratory staff providing leadership and support consistently. Contributes ideas and identifies opportunities for process improvements to better deliver prompt and safe patient care.
9. Manages clinical activities, priorities, and problems, Clinical laboratory Services staffing and workloads. Provides status report to Clinical Laboratory Services management Leadership and Administration effectively communicating issues, concerns, and suggestions as appropriate. Identiifies opportunities for cost containment and promotes cost effective utilization of resources. Assists with budget preparation for the Clinical Laboratory Service Line and daily financial activity specifically in relation to high cost Clinical laboratory Services.
10. Selects, trains, motivates, supervises, evaluates and makes recommendations for disciplinary actions up to and including termination, to ensure maximum utilization of individual and group capabilities. Ensures that assigned employees receive opportunities to further their knowledge. Identifies, develops and mentors employees with leadership potential.
11. Actively participates in teaching Medical Laboratory Technologists and Medical Technician students in clinical practice. Actively enhances personal growth, development, and management skills by review of current literature, participating in continuing educational programs, in-services and meetings.
12. Responds to patients, visitors, and other healthcare professionals requests for assistance, information, and needs in a timely and empathetic manner in order to improve overall Clinical Laboratory Services. Strives to improve patient satisfaction, as measured by Press Ganey scores and HCAPS.
**Other Duties: Performs other duties as assigned.
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race; color; religion; national origin; sex; including sexual harassment; age; disability; genetic information; citizenship status; and protected veteran status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.