Primary Purpose of Position:
- Provide legal support to both Senior Vice President, Regional General Counsel and Associate Counsel with regard to leasing, property management, acquisitions and dispositions, real estate financings, real estate development, real estate joint ventures, various commercial landlord/tenant matters, litigation and other real estate related matters.
- Draft, and assist in the negotiation of a variety of documents, including but not limited to leases and licenses, amendments to leases and licenses, Landlord Waiver of Lien Agreements, Termination Agreements, assignment/sublease consents, confidentiality agreements, brokerage agreements, license agreements, telecommunications agreements, construction and professional services agreements, and other related commercial agreements.
- Respond to requests from tenants, including preparation of above documents and answering questions related thereto.
- Prepare tenant default letters and monitor tenant collection matters.
- Monitor bankruptcy proceedings of tenants, tracking deadlines and court proceedings and filing dates.
- Draft, negotiate and assist with service contracts and various other property management contracts and consult with and advise property management staff with respect to these contracts and tenant and management matters.
- Assist with acquisition and disposition due diligence including, title and survey review, organization of due diligence items including leases, occupancy certificates, and service contracts and preparation/tracking of tenant estoppels.
- Assist with real estate financings, including title and survey review, organization of due diligence items, and preparation/tracking of tenant estoppels and SNDAs.
- Assist with the closing of acquisitions/dispositions, real estate joint ventures and financings.
- Provide litigation support, answer interrogatories, and provide required documents as needed.
- Review and approve letters of credit from tenant banks, manage process regarding same, including interfacing with bank personnel, communicating necessary changes to letters of credit provisions and drawing down on letters of credit when necessary.
- Track political donations and compliance with political lobbying registration requirements.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Other related projects as assigned by Regional General Counsel and Associate Counsel
- Participate in industry-related organizations.
- High school diploma or equivalent educational certificate required. Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Paralegal certificate from an accredited university or significant experience as a real estate paralegal preferred.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of experience in a paralegal position, including at least 2 years of progressively responsible, related and relevant experience in the real estate industry and hands-on experience in drafting, negotiating and interpreting legal documents.
- Working knowledge of real estate.
- Ability to produce the quantity of work necessary to timely complete assigned tasks.
- Ability to interact with co-workers, contractors, tenants, outside counsel, or vendors in an articulate, courteous and business-like manner at all times.
- Ability to work under pressure and within time constraints.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Effective problem solving skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Adaptability to changing demands.
- Proven initiative and demonstrated skills for organization and multi-task prioritization.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Outlook required. Proficiency in Microsoft Excel preferred.
- Involves work of a general office nature usually performed sitting such as operation of a computer.
- Involves work of a general office nature usually standing such as operation of a photocopier and a fax machine.
- Involves movement between departments to facilitate workflow.
- Occasional bending and lifting of boxes and files no more than 10 pounds.