2322 Nurse Manager [Ambulatory Care]
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
**Interested applicants are encouraged to apply immediately as this recruitment may close at any time but no earlier than July 6, 2018.**
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION:
Under general supervision, the Nurse Manager [Ambulatory Care] supervises the delivery and evaluation of nursing care and the care environment in various Ambulatory Care settings.
The Nurse Manager [Ambulatory Care] performs the following essential job functions:
- Directs and manages nursing care on assigned units during unit operating hours;
- Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates care using patient outcomes data;
- Provides clinical leadership within the institution;
- Provides the framework for planning, directing, coordinating, providing, and improving care, treatment and services to respond to community and patient needs and improve health care outcomes;
- Demonstrates excellent communication and critical thinking skills to effectively plan and problem-solve; collaborates with the unit-based Interdisciplinary Team;
- Ensures unit compliance to regulatory standards, represents nursing and primary care in a variety of meetings and committees;
- Maintains, monitors and promotes a patient-centered philosophy which supports the autonomy, dignity and rights of patients and their loved ones; AND
- Ensures staff coverage for clinic operations for the unit using OneStaff Staffing Scheduling Systems.
The 2322 Nurse Manager [Ambulatory Care] performs related duties as required.
Essential Duties Related to the Tuberculosis (TB) Clinic (applicable only to the Nurse Manager assigned to this position):
- Provides oversight and Quality Assurance (QA) processes for medication packing and pharmacy-based blister packed medications;
- Participates in TB control administrative/manager meetings, nursing management meetings and serves as liaison between nursing management and TB Control Section nursing and other TB Control Sections;
- Participates in TB-specific training for community providers, students, community based organizations, and other health care professionals;
- Participates in TB-specific training at regional TB training centers; AND
- Maintains occupational health program for the screening of employees for select communicable diseases (Aerosol Transmissible Diseases (ATD), Face-Fitting Respirator fit testing, and TB screening).
LICENSE: Possession of a valid, including temporary or interim, California Registered Nurse License issued by the Board of Registered Nursing (BRN); AND
EDUCATION: Possession of a Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and/or university in Nursing, Nursing Administration or a closely related field; AND
EXPERIENCE: Two (2) years (equivalent to 4,000 hours) of experience as a Registered Nurse in a general acute care hospital, ambulatory clinic, or community/public health setting, including one (1) year (equivalent 2,000 hours) in a supervisory capacity, within the last five (5) years.
Two (2) years of additional experience as an Assistant Nurse Manager/Charge Nurse in a general acute care hospital (a hospital which provides 24 hour inpatient care, including the following basic services: Medical, Nursing, Surgical, Anesthesia, Laboratory, Radiology, Pharmacy and Dietary Services) may be substituted for the educational requirement.
The above minimum qualifications reflect special conditions associated with the position(s) to be filled. They may differ from the standard minimum qualifications associated with this classification.
Applicants must meet the minimum qualification requirement by the final filing date unless otherwise noted.
The stated desirable qualifications may be used to identify job finalists at the end of the selection process when candidates are referred for hiring.
Verification of Experience:
- Clinical experience in Primary Care, and in Urgent Care Center or Emergency Department
- Knowledge of recent regulatory and fiscal changes in the healthcare industry
- Experience in supervising a large multi-disciplinary clinical team/staff
- Sensitivity to a multi-cultural, multi-diagnosed, diverse, urban patient population
- Experience in supervising nursing staff and developing and enforcing operational procedures
- Strong clinical skills
- Excellent computer skills including creating complex spreadsheets and writing complex reports
- Experience using an electronic medical record
- Experience with patient data collection, patient documentation and healthcare quality management
- Knowledge and previous experience working with Joint commission, CMS Validation Surveys, Title 22 and regulatory requirements of HIPAA/ADA/Affirmative Action
- Knowledge of management theories/principles; systems and change theories; conflict resolution and customer service skills
- Ability to conduct chart audits and investigations, critically and analyze adverse outcomes and ascertain/write action plans
- Experience with conducting/leading presentations before peers and upper management groups
- Previous experience in an acute, academic/teaching hospital or health center
Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process.
Verification of Education:
If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at http://sfdhr.org/how-verify-education-requirements
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
How To Apply
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only
accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
- Select the desired job announcement
- Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
- Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”
- Follow instructions on the screen
Computers are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Dept. of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
If you have any questions regarding the recruitment or application process, please contact the exam analyst, Katelynn Luong, by telephone at (415) 554-2920, or by email at Katelynn.Luong@sfdph.org.
Training and Experience Evaluation (Weight: 100%):
Candidates will be prompted to complete a Supplemental Questionnaire as part of the online employment application. The Supplemental Questionnaire is designed to measure knowledge, skills and/or abilities in job-related areas that have been identified as critical for satisfactory performance in this position.
All relevant experience, education and/or training must be included in the application to be reviewed during the scoring process. Candidate responses on the Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be changed once submitted. Candidates will be placed on the eligible list in rank order according to their final score on the Supplemental Questionnaire. The department may administer additional position-specific selection procedures to make final hiring decisions.
The certification rule for the eligible list resulting from this examination will be Rule of Ten (10) Scores
. Additional selection processes may be conducted by the hiring department prior to making final hiring decisions.
The eligible list resulting from this examination is subject to change after adoption (e.g., as a result of appeals), as directed by the Human Resources Director or the Civil Service Commission.
The duration of the eligible list resulting from this examination process will be six (6) months
, and may be extended with the approval of the Human Resources Director.
As a finalist for a job, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction (or arrest, in limited circumstances) conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you are a finalist. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances, such as:
Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City.
- Candidates for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
- Candidates for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
If you are selected as a finalist, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
All City and County of San Francisco employees are designated Disaster Service Workers through state and local law (California Government Code Section 3100-3109). Employment with the City requires the affirmation of a loyalty oath to this effect. Employees are required to complete all Disaster Service Worker-related training as assigned, and to return to work as ordered in the event of an emergency.
Valid licensure/certification/registration as a requirement to perform the job must be kept current throughout length of employment. Failure to demonstrate/show proof of possession of required valid licensure/certification/registration may result in dismissal and/or termination of employment.
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certificate Requirement/Provision:
- Information regarding California Registered Nurse (RN) Licenses may be obtained from the California Board of Registered Nursing, 400 R Street, Suite 4030, P.O. Box 944210, Sacramento, CA 94244-2100, telephone: (916) 322-3350. Web address: http://www.rn.ca.gov/
Possession of a valid Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certificate issued by the American Heart Association is required as a provision to employment for all positions. Candidates who do not possess such a certification may participate in this examination process and be appointed to a position(s), but will be required to obtain the certificate within two (2) weeks of hire date and maintain validity throughout length of employment. A photocopy of the valid Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certificate must be provided to the appropriate supervisor of the appointment within the allotted time frame. Failure to demonstrate/show proof of possession of valid certification within two (2) weeks of hire date and throughout length of employment may result in dismissal and/or termination of employment.
Note on ICARE:
Willingness to uphold/abide by ZSFG’s ICARE (I-Introduce, C-Connect, A-Ask, R-Respond, E-Exit) philosophy for employee and patient interactions: https://zuckerbergsanfranciscogeneral.org/about-us/
Note on Electronic Health Record (EHR):
The Department of Public Health (DPH) is implementing a unified Electronic Health Record (EHR) system and DPH employees must demonstrate competency in the use of the system that is appropriate for their classification as a condition of employment.
Note on Personal Protective Equipment (PPE):
Some positions in the Department of Public Health will require the use of personal protective equipment (PPE), including but not limited to gloves, gowns, eye and face protection, and face-fitting respirators. The requirement for the use of PPE may come on short or no notice. Facial hair or any condition that interferes with a face-fitting respirator’s seal (i.e. comes between the sealing surfaces of the respirator and the wearer’s bare skin) is not permitted when face-fitting respirators are worn, including during initial or periodic respirator fit-testing.
Employees who choose not to shave and do not have either American Disabilities Act (ADA) or Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Accommodations do not have the right to alternate work assignments or the option of using a loose-fitting Powered Air Purifying Respirator (PAPR) in place of a FaceFitting Respirator.
Condition of Employment: Highest Educational Achievement
Due to the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment 1988, all applicants who are selected for a position will be required to provide verification of highest level of education achieved. Applicants must meet one of the following conditions:
Have earned a doctoral, master's, or bachelor's degree in a chemical, physical, biological or clinical laboratory science (including nursing), or medical technology from an accredited institution; OR
Have earned an associate degree in a chemical, physical or biological science (including nursing) or medical laboratory technology from an accredited institution.
Condition of Employment (Security Clearance):
Security clearance as issued by the Sheriff’s Department is required as a condition of employment for all positions at the Jail Health Services. Eligibles who have successfully participated in the examination process, received passing scores and have been selected for hire will be required to obtain the security clearance prior to appointment. A photocopy of the security clearance must be provided to the supervisor on or before date of hire. Failure to demonstrate/show proof of security clearance may result in a dismissal and/or termination of employment.
Medical Examination/Drug Testing:
Prior to appointment, at the Department's expense, applicants may be required to take a tuberculosis (TB) screening test, a medical examination and/or drug test.
Terms of Announcement:
Applicants must be guided solely by the provisions of this announcement, including requirements, time periods and other particulars, except when superseded by federal, state or local laws, rules or regulations. [Note: The correction of clerical errors in an announcement may be posted on the Department of Human Resources website at www.jobaps.com/sf.] The terms of this announcement may be appealed under Civil Service Rule 110.4. Such appeals must be submitted in writing to the Department of Human Resources, 1 S Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103-5413 by close of business on the 5th business day following the issuance date of this examination announcement. Information concerning other Civil Service Commission Rules involving announcements, applications and examination policies, including applicant appeal rights, can be found on the Civil Service Commission website at http://sfgov.org/civilservice/rules.
General Information concerning City and County of San Francisco Employment Policies and Procedures can be found at:
Copies of Application Documents:
Right to Work:
Information on requesting a reasonable ADA Accommodation:
Information regarding requests for Veterans Preference can be found at:
Information regarding Seniority Credit can be found at:
Exam Type: CPE
Issued: June 22, 2018
Human Resources Director
Department of Human Resources
Recruitment No.: CBT-2322-902739
DPH / KL / (415) 554-2920
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.
For more information about benefits, please click here.